Estimating cluster memory requirement

• Hi,

I am aggregating 6-8 SQL Server 2000 databases to a cluster of SQL Server consisting of two nodes, each with four 3.1GHz Xeon CPUs. How do I estimate the memory requirement for each node? Do I simply add the memory utilization of each SQL Server instance on each individual SQL server? Or, is there some other formula to arrive at this figure?

Thanks,

- Siddhartha

• Nope ... no formula i'm afraid ... so your best guestimate would probably be from the aproach you've already suggested and add up the memory used by the individual instances! It depends alot on the size and how busy ur databases are also!

A good starting point is 4Gb i reckon and see if it copes! More memory can always be added later fairly painlessly!

• Here's a few questions that I would ask before trying the memory guess:

• How are you going to configure the cluster ? (active/passive or active/active)
    • Are you installing one instance only ? (then you can only be active/passive)
    • How big are the databases ?
    • How large are your current tempdb(s) ?
    • Are you going to be using 'AWE' and/or 'PAE' ?
    • Will you be running SP4 ? (it gives large memory configurations 'fits' in some instances)

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply