Execute a SSIS package from VB or a stored procedure

• How can I run a SSIS package from a Access form with VB or from a stored procedure in sql server 2005?

• a couple of ideas for the stored procedure:

1: Create an agent job that runs the task. Then have an SP that invokes sp_start_job to run the job

2: (ugly!) use xp_cmdshell to invoke the package using the DTEXEC commandline interface

I've not yet found a sp_(run/startexec)_Package ... ther may be one... That would be the best method, if it is a 'open' SP (i.e not one of MS's hidden SP's).

HTH

• were you able to get this to work?

• The server I am working on has the SSIS tools loaded but not the SSIS package itself.  Neither of the methods will work until that is fixed.  I will use the "BULK INSERT" T-SQL command instead since I cannot control what is on the clients server.

• Ok,

I was able to get it to work.

Thanks Wanderer!

• glad they were able to help 🙂

• Hi,

I have a requirement where in i need to keep polling a folder for files and once the file arrives in a folder , i need to invoke ann SSIS package. I don't know how to invoke a package from code.

I am thinking, i'll make a windows service which will keep polling the folder and will invoke ssis package if some file comes in.

Somebody please help me out with the code.

Thanks,

Tarun

• Why do you hijack this thread as well as posting the question in two other threads???

Ignore this: asked and answered in another thread.

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• thanks for clarifying that, Crispin.

by the way - how's life? Where are you these days? (wanderer @ sqlservercentral = wanderer @ sqlteam )

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply