Execute Package Task

• Hi All

I have a main Package which I'm using to call child packages (to load Dimensions and later Facts...). The server is an Itantium and all packages run as 64bit.... however NOT All! I have some packages which will need to run as 32bit (Reading from Excel/Oracle sources). Running the child packages manually works fine, i.e. using the respective dtexec exe, however I would like to automate this process by using the main package to run the child packages. Is it possible to specify from the Execute task component whether to run the package as 32 or 64 bit?

Regards

Brian

Regards
    Brian Ellul
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate, and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination.
    - Albert Einstein -

• I don't know how, or if, Itanium affects things. But I've done this on 2008 R2.

You can't call packages in 32 bit mode from a 64 bit execution. Not as part of the same process. I.e. the Execute Package Task won't work.

But you can use the Execute Process Task.

There is a catch however, anything executed by Exec Process Task will start a new process. Which is what you need because you want a 32 bit process.

All my 64 bit packages ran under a master package, and I set up all my 32 bit packages to run under a separate 32 bit master. (With a bit more complexity it may be possible to use a configuration rather than a separate package but I didn't attempt it.)

You can set up an Exec Process Task something like this:

EXECUTABLE: <drive_letter>:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\DTExec.exe

ARGUMENTS: /FILE "<full_path>\<package_name>.dtsx" /CHECKPOINTING OFF /REPORTING EW

Be sure to point to the 32 bit version of DTexec. Details here if you need them: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162810%28v=sql.105%29.aspx

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply