Executing a package from within a package

• Hello,

I creating a package in 7.0 that needs to execute another package via an ActiveX script. Here is my code.

Set oDTS = DTSGlobalVariables.parent

Set oStep = oDTS.Steps.New

'*** Load Package

oDTS.LoadFromSQLServer sSQLServer, , , DTSSQLStgFlag_Default, , , , szPackageName

'*** Set Exec on Main Thread

For Each oStep In oDTS.Steps

oStep.ExecuteInMainThread = False

Next

'*** Execute

oDTS.Execute

oDTS.UnInitialize

My problem is that when I load the package, I receive an error stating "DTSStep_DTSActiveScriptTask_5 already exists in collection." Basically, a step in the package I'm loading is named the same as one in the controlling package. I'm not sure of the correct way to rename steps. I think just renaming the step in the controlling package would solve my problem. If not, then could someone tell me how to workaround it.

Thanks,

Jason

• By using DTSGlobalVariables.parent you are creating a package object which is referencing the current package.

You need to create a new package object to load your stored package into.

eg:

Set oPkg = CreateObject("DTS.Package")

oDTS.LoadFromSQLServer sSQLServer, , , DTSSQLStgFlag_Default, , , , szPackageName

Thanks

Phill Carter

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• That worked great! Thanks.

I've got another question now. I am unable to execute the package unless I specify a SQL login. Does this method require SQL Authentication? My NT account is SA on both servers. Also, what context does the child package execute under?

Thanks,

• The 'DTSSQLStgFlag_Default' constant specifies that SQL Security is used.

For Winodws Authentication use the 'DTSSQLStgFlag_UseTrustedConnection' constant instead.

Thanks

Phill Carter

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply