Executing dynamic SQL

• I've been trying to find out why "Exec sp_executesql @sql" is supposed to be a better practice than "Exec (@sql)". I ran a few tests in SSMS and compared estimated and actual execution plans but could not determine any difference.

Does anyone know why sp_executesql is the better practice?

Thanks,

Dave

• Because it allows for parameterisation of the dynamic SQL (which exec does not). That leads to better plan reuse and better security

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you, Gail. I just learned something good that I will use often.

The subtle but significant differences make all the difference in the world.

• GilaMonster (1/17/2013)

Because it allows for parameterisation of the dynamic SQL (which exec does not). That leads to better plan reuse and better security

Thanks for the answer!

Does this apply only to executing sql from an application then?

If I have a stored procedure that accepts parameters and build an sql string within the stored procedure, does it matter how the sql is executed in the stored procedure?

I'm guessing, in this case, there is no security difference.

• Dave62 (1/17/2013)

Does this apply only to executing sql from an application then?

No.

If I have a stored procedure that accepts parameters and build an sql string within the stored procedure, does it matter how the sql is executed in the stored procedure?

Yes. Same reasons.

I'm guessing, in this case, there is no security difference.

Wanna bet?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for the answers! I'd much rather learn the best practice by asking here instead of finding out the hard way. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply