Experienced a outage after a replacement of server in a Rack

• Shortly after replacing SQLserver1 in the rack and testing (with no network connections or Fibre channel (disk) connections) SQLserver2 rebooted. This is a SQL Server 2000 Enterprise SP4 Active\Passive.

Warm Regards,

Arthur Lorenzini
    Sioux Falls, SD

• Art,

Sorry to be asking questions rather than providing answers, but can you explain more? It sounds like you were physically putting your Node1 SQL Server back in the rack and Node2 rebooted. Is that correct? Any chance they are running off the same UPS and the surge caused it to drop off?

If I am way off please forgive me. More details would definitely be helpful.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• they are seperate UPS's. The exact scenerio is that we has plugged the Server4 back into the rack an hadn't had time to hook up the fiber or anything when Server2 rebooted itself.

Warm Regards,

Arthur Lorenzini
    Sioux Falls, SD

• I would have to say that they are unrelated or that someone accidentally wiggled the power cord in the other rack. Can't see how putting a server in a rack would cause a reboot of another any other way but, then again we are talking about computers.

Hopefully the other server came back up ok. 🙂

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Having said all that the reason for the server 4 being pulled was to replace a processor. I am wondering if that had something to do with it.

Warm Regards,

Arthur Lorenzini
    Sioux Falls, SD

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply