explain how to make the database accessible to the outside world

• Hi,

Can anyone explain me to make the sqlserver database to the outside world.

• Could you explain a bit more what you want? I'm not sure I understand your question.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi,

I want to access my local database through internet.

Moreover i want to connect my database out of lan network

• That very much depends on yout network infrastructure, not so much SQL. You may want to ask your network people about that

Is the SQL server in an internet-facing portion of your network? Is there a firewall in place (very likely)? Do your company's IT policies allow access to their SQL Servers from the internet?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Gail is right and also you need to make sure the SQL Browser service is started.

Att,

• Be very careful making your data base available to the outside world it will open the proverbial can of worms ... look at all the posting on SQL injection attacks, theft of data, modification / deletion of data. If your database contains employers data get your supervisors permission.

With all that said review Security. When you think you have the best security in the world review it again and then again

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• If you mean INTERNET, do you mean working through a VPN. (not for external users).

Again, whatever your thoughts, Talk to your infrastructure(Network / Security) Team. (if you have one).

If this is the basic case of a standalone Database server managed by you.. Well you need to have a dedicated IP and Protocols enabled and working, in place and try connecting through that IP from your SSMS. There are and can be many more methods for access.. but think about security and other Questions/concerns some users have posted.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply