Explain plan save as pdf file

• How to save or copy a expalin plan into a read able file, e.g PDF or txt or any other

• Why do you want to save it as pdf?

Right click on the graphical plan, select save as. Save as a .sqlplan file. It's a form of xml. Anyone with management studio can open that .sqlplan file and it will be displayed as a graphical plan with all information in it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • my user do not have a management studio, and I do not want to save as xml format. I want to save as .pdf or txt or report file:-)

• Probably the only way to pdf will be via screen shot, which loses most of the information in the plan. Have a look at this article for a way to save a plan (though not a very readable one) in excel. http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

I'm curious, why do users who don't have management studio want to see the execution plan for a query? What are they going to do with it?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Using Office 2007, one can:

- Install: 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF

- With plan displayed in MSMS, hit ALT-PrtSc

- Open new doc in MSWord 2007

- Hit Ctrl-V to paste the screenshot

- Save As PDF

-MarkO

"You do not really understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

• first I want to explain or show them that index and Hashs etc,

I try to do a print screen, that is not working I can't read that

• Install management studio express on the user's machines (it's a free download from Microsoft), then they can view the exec plan with full details. No other way is as easy to read.

Why can't you read a screen shot?

Gail Shaw

• My explain plan is very big, I can't see on one page.

I have to send this explain plan to my management and different vender/client

• 3 main options.

Save as .sqlplan and ask them to install management Studio Express. Easiest to do, easiest plan to read.

As I explained in the article I referred you to, use SET STATISTICS PROFILE ON, run the query with results to grid, copy the resultset with the plan into excel, save and mail the excel file. Good luck reading that plan. It's not trivial.

As I explained in the article I referred you to, use SET STATISTICS PROFILE ON, run the query with results to text, copy the textual plan into notepad, save and mail the text file. Good luck reading that plan. It's not trivial.

Gail Shaw

• To print an Execution Plan as a PDF, you first need a PDF-printer. http://www.cutepdf.com has a free one that works pretty well.

Then, display the plan in Management Studio. Click on the pannel that has the plan in it, and go to File -> Print, select the PDF-printer, and click Okay.

I've attached a sample created this way. It's not very useful, but it does what you're asking for.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply