Export data to CSV files

• I need to be able to export data from my SQL Server 2000 database into a set of flat files (we have selecetd CSV) for transfer to other databases on separate networks. Because different users of the database may want to export different data subsets I want to be able to choose the location of these files based on some string parameters supplied and thereby avoid one user conflicting with another. I can specify a fixed path and filename in the Connection Properties but not a variable path. I can also specify just a filename but don't seem to be able to control the default folder for the creation of the output files.

Any ideas?

• Always Export the file to the same location and then based on parameters, use XP_CMDSHELL to copy or move it to another directory.

• You can use the filesystem object in an activeX script to manipulate files and their paths. Capture the new path\file in a global string variable and assign it dynamically to the connection path with the dynamic properties task. It's easy!

Here is a sample activeX script where I use a pre-formatted template. On success, go to the dynamic properties task and set the Excel connection to gsSetPath. That's all there is to it!

'**********************************************************************

' Visual Basic ActiveX Script

'************************************************************************

Function Main()

Dim oFso

Set oFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Dim sMonth, sDay, sDate, sSaveFile, sTemplate

If Len(Month(Date)) = 1 Then

sMonth = "0" & CStr(Month(Date))

Else

sMonth = CStr(Month(Date))

End If

If Len(Day(Date)) = 1 Then

sDay = "0" & CStr(Day(Date))

Else

sDay = CStr(Day(Date))

End If

sDate = CStr(Year(Date)) & sMonth & sDay

sTemplate = "\\MyServer\MyFile_TEMPLATE.xls"

sSaveFile = Replace(sTemplate, "TEMPLATE", sDate)

oFso.CopyFile sTemplate, sSaveFile, True

Set oFso = Nothing

DTSGlobalVariables("gsSetPath") = sSaveFile

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

End Function

J. Moseley

[font="Courier New"]ZenDada[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply