Export SQL Resultset to Excel

• This seems like it should be quite simple, but I cannot seem to find a way to create an Excel file dynamically. All I'm trying to do is execute a SPROC and dump the results to an Excel file with the date in the filename (EX. DataDump_20090526.xls). How do you create an Excel Destination to a file that doesn't exist yet?

TIA

• have you tried using SSIS or the export data wizard. These will craete the neccessary tabs in Excel for you

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

• If this is something that you are running regularly, the export wizard doesn't give you what you want. I suspect that the package validation is giving you problems.

One possible way of achieving what you want without falling foul of the advance validation is to use an existing Excel file name for the export and then to have a dynamic rename or copy task afterwards that names the file as you want it.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi,

First create excel file and make connection and then change property of "Excel Connection Manager" DelayValidation to True.

• zbleslav (5/27/2009)

Hi,

First create excel file and make connection and then change property of "Excel Connection Manager" DelayValidation to True.

How does this accommodate the dynamic file-name requirement?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (5/27/2009)

zbleslav (5/27/2009)

Hi,

Question was:

"How do you create an Excel Destination to a file that doesn't exist yet?"

- create "dummy" excel file

- make connection

- change DelayValidation to True

- delete "dummy" file

"DelayValidation to True" will skip pre-execution validation and problems with connection to the file that does not yet exist.

• zbleslav (5/29/2009)

Phil Parkin (5/27/2009)

zbleslav (5/27/2009)

Hi,

Question was:

"How do you create an Excel Destination to a file that doesn't exist yet?"

- create "dummy" excel file

- make connection

- change DelayValidation to True

- delete "dummy" file

DelayValidation to True" will skip pre-execution validation and problems with connection to the file that does not yet exist.

Now I see what you were getting at. You answered the actual question, whereas I guessed at what was behind it and answered some other stupid question :crazy:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply