Expoting Excel data to SQL server using TSQL

• Hi,

i need to export data from excel to sql server database,

using TSQL statement

Any one can help me??

• It is possible - two was spring to mind, using creating and OLE instance of the Excel object using sp_OACreate, etc., which is messy and heavy going or by linking to the Excel file as a linked server using the Jet 4 OLEDB drivers, which is suitable for a fixed file location.

If you are using SQL 2005 have you considered using a CLR routine, e.g. C# or VB.NET to take to Excel.  In my experience this would be more suitable for your solution.

An other option would be to use DTS/Integration Services.

• Import from Excel xls files really depends on how the data got there. If a savy user starts formatting columns you are in too deep, SQL Server does not like a field with 3 numbers like Excel uses for the Phone or Social Security Number "format". I find that I have to save the Excel file as a Tab delimited text file to get what I see in the XLS. Even then, import in to a stage table with all columns varchar or nvarchar, then clean up the mistakes (Excel allows N/A in numeric columns, etc.), and finally import into production tables.

If the data got there from an ODBC or OLEDB import, life is good, your direct import should work without a hitch as the import treats the XLS as a table and defines a datatype for each column. Instead of the default in Excel of general, which should mean anything anwhere and it will change the datatype per cell.

Good luck...

Andy

• Set the excel source up as a linked server.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply