Extended Events

• I am starting to learn to use Extended Events and it seems like it has a lot of very useful elements to it but there is a huge issue for me. It is stored in XML. Now, I loath XML but I can deal with it but my main issue is that you have to know the events in the extended events before you can query them.

So for a given event (that you may or may not have created) you have to manually parse the XML file and write a query like...

-- select for the evtsRollback event session

SELECT

xed.event_data.value('(data[@name="duration"]/text)[1]', 'varchar(25)') AS duration,

xed.event_data.value('(data[@name="transaction_state"]/text)[1]', 'varchar(25)') AS transaction_state,

xed.event_data.value('(data[@name="transaction_type"]/text)[1]', 'varchar(25)') AS transaction_type,

xed.event_data.value('(data[@name="transaction_id"]/text)[1]', 'varchar(25)') AS transaction_id,

xed.event_data.value('(data[@name="object_name"]/text)[1]', 'varchar(25)') AS objname,

xed.event_data.value('(data[@name="savepoint_name"]/text)[1]', 'varchar(25)') AS savepoint_name,

xed.event_data.value('(data[@name="session_id"]/text)[1]', 'varchar(25)') AS session_id,

xed.event_data.value('(data[@name="database_id"]/text)[1]', 'varchar(25)') AS database_id,

xed.event_data.value('(data[@name="sql_text"]/text)[1]', 'varchar(25)') AS sql_text

FROM #capture_ex

CROSS APPLY targetdata.nodes('//RingBufferTarget/event') AS xed (event_data);

Is there any way to parse the XML in SQL to get the list of nodes and then use that to create the query? Or am I just doing it wrong? Or is there a better way that I am not aware of? It seems to me this is a huge drawback to using this. Some of the events have complex XLM layouts that are very confusing. Do I have to become an expert in XML to be able to use this?

Thanks in advance!!

Jim

• yes there is Jim!

i had worked diligently on this same issue, and put together a pretty good version code base that creates a script by reading the metadata, to create views with all the xml shredding generated automatically.

Eventually, I'll finish an article I was building for this, but this script will generate a view definition for every Extended Event, with a target type of file. I'd need to regroup to build one for type ring buffer or anything else that was possible.

Important: it has a dependency of having master.dbo.DelimitedSplit function laying around in the master database , which is a bastard version of DelimitedSplit8K, but that takes varchar(max), and more than one char for the delimiter:

see if this helps you at all.

an example:

--#################################################################################################

-- ApplicationErrors

--#################################################################################################

IF OBJECT_ID('[dbo].[vwExtendedEvent_ApplicationErrors]') IS NOT NULL

DROP VIEW [dbo].[vwExtendedEvent_ApplicationErrors]

GO

CREATE VIEW vwExtendedEvent_ApplicationErrors AS

SELECT

n.value('(@timestamp)[1]', 'datetime2') AS [timestamp]

,n.value('(@name)[1]', 'varchar(128)') AS EventName

,n.value('(@package)[1]', 'varchar(128)') AS PackageName

,n.value('(@id)[1]', 'int') AS SessionIdentifier

,n.value('(@version)[1]', 'int') AS PackageVersion

-- data

,n.value('(data[@name="destination"]/value)[1]', 'varchar(max)') AS destination

,n.value('(data[@name="is_intercepted"]/value)[1]', 'bit') AS is_intercepted

,n.value('(data[@name="message"]/value)[1]', 'varchar(max)') AS message

,n.value('(data[@name="state"]/value)[1]', 'int') AS state

-- actions

,n.value('(action[@name="database_id"]/value)[1]', 'varchar(max)') AS database_id

,n.value('(action[@name="event_sequence"]/value)[1]', 'varchar(max)') AS event_sequence

,n.value('(action[@name="last_error"]/value)[1]', 'varchar(max)') AS last_error

,n.value('(action[@name="nt_username"]/value)[1]', 'varchar(max)') AS nt_username

,n.value('(action[@name="query_hash"]/value)[1]', 'varchar(max)') AS query_hash

,n.value('(action[@name="query_plan_hash"]/value)[1]', 'varchar(max)') AS query_plan_hash

FROM

(SELECT

CAST(event_data AS XML) AS event_data

FROM sys.fn_xe_file_target_read_file(N'ApplicationErrors*.xel',null, null, null)

) as tab

CROSS APPLY event_data.nodes('event') as q(n)

GO

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• WOW!

That is exactly what I was looking for!!

Thank you so much!!!

Jim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply