Extended SPs and Winsock

• Any experts in calling extended procedures in TSQL?

I'm currently working on a stock market based project that uses a 3rd party stock quote feed which passes XML data back and forth via HTTP. Right now all the quote updates are handled through the business tier that connects through WinSock. I'm thinking it would be faster and more efficient if SQL could call directly to the feed instead. (knock out the middleman) Trouble is...I don't know the first thing about calling external components from TSQL, other than the fact it can be done.

Questions:

Can Winsock be called directly by SQL without a COM wrapper? If so is it stable enough?
    Do you know of any 3rd Winsock based components that have been proven stable in SQL?
    Any one have sample code?
    BTW paying for advice or outside work is not a problem for this project.

Thanks
  • Bill,

From what you described i get the impression that it maybe possible to use the sqlweb release features of sql2k to handle xml over http. If that were possible you will be lucky enough not to use any "special" code

BTW this advice is FREE

* Noel

• I don't think I would want to have my SQL Server calling winsock directly. If it were to error out more than likely you would end up downing the server Since you already have the business tier getting the XML why not create an SP that accepts the XML directly and parses it to update the table directly using OPENXML?

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply