Extended Stored Procedures

• What is the functionally equivalent feature to extended stored procedures in the newer versions of SQL server? I need to implement a procedure which manipulates the data stored in the database, before presenting it to the clients, which could be any third-party tool. I am better off implementing the procedure in C/C++ rather than in TSQL, due to the varied facilities available in the former. But, extended stored procedures are likely to be obsolete (or are they already). Therefore, is there any other way of achieving the same?

My requirements of the procedure involve parsing a varbinary/image type of column and extract the meaningful information out of it and presenting it as a result set to the client.

Thanks,

Krishnan

P.S. How do I return a result set from an xp?

• My understanding is that extended stored procedures will exist in SQL2005, but will be deprecated.

From SQL2005 onwards you will have .Net CLR support directly within SQL Server.  This means you will be able to write code in any CLR language and have imbedded SQL.

If you cannot get the SQL Server documentation on how this will work, take a look at the IBM website, where CLR support already exists within DB2.  The database object names will differ between DB2 and SQL, but much of the rest of your coding will be the same.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply