Extended stored procuedure with multithreads

• I am trying to write an extended stroed procedure with C# that create several threads

In each thread I want to run a stored procedure in a database wrriten in TSQL .

I am getting this error message :

The protected resources (only available with full trust) were : All The demand Resources were : externalthreeding

I have read that sql server controls the thread pool but I could not understand if it is bosibble to create suce an extended soreporcdures

My goal is to parlelize the execution of batch data processing by devide it into chanks of processing

which runs speratly but concurrently to minimize the batch processing time

(I still do not Know if this is the right foroum ao general is the right one0

• Extended stored procedure or CLR stored procedure?

Extended stored procs have to be written in C++ (not C#) and doing multi-threading in a C++ extended stored proc is very dangerous.

Assuming that you mean CLR, why do you want to do this in a stored proc in SQL?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • SSIS may be a better fit for this, though you can probably set the permission level to 'external' , assuming this is CLR.

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Dave Ballantyne (6/14/2010)

though you can probably set the permission level to 'external' , assuming this is CLR.

Threading requires unsafe.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Yes you are right I ment CLR

The reason is that Ihave a batch processing which varies

between several handred records to oprocess to several milions of records

I wand the CLR procedure to deicde who many time to run the Batch dinamicly

the batch is onther stored procedure which is controlled with paramters send to it

the paramters describe the chunk of recrds that the stored procedure has to process

• Are you calulating fields in your CLR stored procedure? If all you are doing is calling stored procedures from a stored procedure then TSQL should be enough if you configure the MAX DOP settings in the SQL engine. E.g

How to check what MAX DOP should be

select case

when cpu_count / hyperthread_ratio > 8 then 8

else cpu_count / hyperthread_ratio

end as optimal_maxdop_setting

from sys.dm_os_sys_info;

As a last restort you can use query hints with MAXDOP settings.

eg

SELECT field1 FROM table1

OPTION (MAXDOP 2)

This will keep the order but run each query over the CPUs

• MAX DEGREE OF PRALELISEM Will not work here

Because the stored procedure that is beeing called works on create a pool of recrods and then process them one at a time

So I need to Call this stored procedure several times to create several pools wich are have diffrent records

I want to that in parlel

• Gil_Adi (6/14/2010)

Because the stored procedure that is beeing called works on create a pool of recrods and then process them one at a time

Why are you processing records one by one? SQL works best on sets of rows (where it can make the choice about paralleling if necessary), not row by row.

Gail Shaw

• I know hat set based thinking is beter for SQL Server

Each records holds the key for a data collecting operation which involves very complicated comutation

these computations can not be preformed for all records at one time.

eache record drwas a diffrent and indevidual path for each element that is computed or rerived from the tables

and I am talking on verry large tables

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply