External Hard Disk Problem

• dear all

when i am trying to access with my 80GB external hard disk on my computer i am getting the message Semaphore timed out period is expired after a long time and till then the computer remains hanged.

I don't know how to resolve the issue. I have tried the same on multiple USB port even with high speed ports as well but the same issue comes up.

please advise,

ved

• You trying to create a database on there? Query a database on there? Exactly what are you doing?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Try it on some other computers also and see what its saying?

• if it's a SCSI drive it could be the termination is incorrect. however it sounds most likely the drive itself or it's USB interface is toast.

try removing it from it's caddy and connecting to a computer directly as IDE, SCSI or SATA direct connect.

M

• What do you mean by 'trying access with' the hard drive? Are you using MS Access? Is this a database question or a general problem with just using the external hard drive to save any file? I've used SQL Server with a variety of USB and firewire hard drives and even USB flash drives and never had a problem. Are you able to use the drive for general use?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply