"Factorial" query.

• Okay guys, this is a fun problem, and for some reason I am having trouble with it.

Assume a set of six items. A,B,C,D,E,F

For each item in the set, I need to generate all the combinations of the other items. An example follows, which I hope is complete. The rules for combining are.

1. Single letter is present more than once.

2. Letters are always presented alphabetically from left to right. (CBDEF is not allowed.)

3. Combinations must be generated for each combo length from 1 to 5. Run the example and you will see what this means.

declare @sample table (test char(1),combos varchar(5))

insert into @sample

select 'A','BCDEF' union all

select 'A','BCDE' union all

select 'A','BCDF' union all

select 'A','BDEF' union all

select 'A','BCEF' union all

select 'A','CDEF' union all

select 'A','BCD' union all

select 'A','BCE' union all

select 'A','BCF' union all

select 'A','BDE' union all

select 'A','BDF' union all

select 'A','BEF' union all

select 'A','CDE' union all

select 'A','CDF' union all

select 'A','CEF' union all

select 'A','DEF' union all

select 'A','BC' union all

select 'A','BD' union all

select 'A','BE' union all

select 'A','BF' union all

select 'A','CD' union all

select 'A','CE' union all

select 'A','CF' union all

select 'A','DE' union all

select 'A','DF' union all

select 'A','EF' union all

select 'A','B' union all

select 'A','C' union all

select 'A','D' union all

select 'A','E'

select * from @sample

order by LEN(combos) ,combos

For the benefit of Jeff and others who would like to know why, I will explain what the purpose of this is. The various letters represent columns, with values that may or may not be dependent on one another. I need to take counts of all values of A based on all combinations of B-F, then all values of B for combinations of A and C-F, etc. I was going to use the result set from this to generate dynamic SQL to build the counts, but I am open to other ideas. Thanks.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Depending on exactly what you are trying to accomplish, you might be better off using the WITH CUBE option. It will give you summaries for every possible combination of the GROUP BY columns.

SELECT A, B, C, D, E, F, Count(ID)

FROM YourTable

GROUP BY A, B, C, D, E, F

WITH CUBE

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Thanks, Drew. I just took a look at that, and results are promising. If WITH CUBE doesn't get me all the way there, it's still a big step in the right direction. I'll post back here later.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• If the with cube doens't turn out with your expected results, I think this will get you there.

DECLARE @INITIALVALUES TABLE

(

VALUE CHAR(1)

)

INSERT INTO @INITIALVALUES

SELECT ''

UNION ALL

SELECT 'A'

UNION ALL

SELECT 'B'

UNION ALL

SELECT 'C'

UNION ALL

SELECT 'D'

UNION ALL

SELECT 'E'

UNION ALL

SELECT 'F'

;

WITH CTE (INITIALVALUE, COMBO) AS

(

SELECT

I1.VALUE AS INITIALVALUE

,REPLACE(I2.VALUE + I3.VALUE + I4.VALUE + I5.VALUE + I6.VALUE,' ','') AS COMBO

FROM

@INITIALVALUES I1

CROSS JOIN @INITIALVALUES I2

CROSS JOIN @INITIALVALUES I3

CROSS JOIN @INITIALVALUES I4

CROSS JOIN @INITIALVALUES I5

CROSS JOIN @INITIALVALUES I6

WHERE

(--no '' value for initialvalue

I1.VALUE != ''

)

AND

(--ELIMATES INITAL VALUE FROM RESULT SET

CHARINDEX(I1.VALUE,REPLACE(I2.VALUE + I3.VALUE + I4.VALUE + I5.VALUE + I6.VALUE,' ','')) = 0

)

AND

(--ELIMATES DUPLICATES WITHIN COMBO

CHARINDEX(I2.VALUE,REPLACE(I3.VALUE + I4.VALUE + I5.VALUE + I6.VALUE,' ','')) = 0

AND

CHARINDEX(I3.VALUE,REPLACE(I2.VALUE + I4.VALUE + I5.VALUE+I6.VALUE,' ','')) = 0

AND

CHARINDEX(I4.VALUE,REPLACE(I2.VALUE + I3.VALUE + I5.VALUE+I6.VALUE,' ','')) = 0

AND

CHARINDEX(I5.VALUE,REPLACE(I2.VALUE + I3.VALUE + I4.VALUE+I6.VALUE,' ','')) = 0

AND

CHARINDEX(I6.VALUE,REPLACE(I2.VALUE + I3.VALUE + I4.VALUE+I5.VALUE,' ','')) = 0

)

)

SELECT

INITIALVALUE

, COMBO

FROM

CTE

WHERE --SELECT COMBO'S IN ALPHA ORDER

ISNULL(ASCII(SUBSTRING(COMBO,1,1)),99) <= ISNULL(ASCII(SUBSTRING(COMBO,2,1)),99)

AND

ISNULL(ASCII(SUBSTRING(COMBO,2,1)),99) <= ISNULL(ASCII(SUBSTRING(COMBO,3,1)),99)

AND

ISNULL(ASCII(SUBSTRING(COMBO,3,1)),99) <= ISNULL(ASCII(SUBSTRING(COMBO,4,1)),99)

AND

ISNULL(ASCII(SUBSTRING(COMBO,4,1)),99) <= ISNULL(ASCII(SUBSTRING(COMBO,5,1)),99)

AND

COMBO !=''

GROUP BY

INITIALVALUE

, COMBO

ORDER BY

INITIALVALUE

, LEN(COMBO) DESC

, COMBO

• Many thanks, Roger.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply