Facts with dimensions with measures and more dimensions...

• I am new to data warehousing and I am having trouble with some tables that act as dimensions and fact tables. For example, I am collecting work logged against projects.

Work(fact) has

Measure:

- WorkHours

Dimensions:

- Person

- Date

- Project

This seems straight forward, but then when I start reviewing the project dimension, it has its own measures (budget, ROI) and its own dimensions (date, sponsor) so it seems like it should be a fact table as well.

How would I model this? Do I create a ProjectFact table and a ProjectDim table?

• In AS2005 you can use more than one fact table in the same cube.

Also, you can denormilize the tables, making only one; something like this:

select *

from project left join work on project.project = work.project

• I understand that I can have more the one fact table, but the question is, "Is project a fact table or a dimension table?"

When looking at work it is obviously is a dimension of work, but at the same time projects have their own dimensions (date and sponsor) and measures (budget, ROI) which makes it look like a fact table. So which is it?

• May be both, that depends on what you want to analyze.

If you just want to categorize the work by project, then project is a dimension. But if you also want to compare something like budget vs. real cost, then project is also a fact table.

A table can be fact and dimension at same time.

• Thanks!

Ok, so it sounds like I should probably make the project table a dimension and a fact table.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply