Failed Database Copy Wizard Problem

• I am copying a Database on SQL 7.0 on Win NT 4.0 Server to SQL 2000 on Windows 2000 Server. The logins for the SQL servers are domain logins to allow for cross domain and memebers of Administrator as well as sa.

All steps for copying jobs work except the step to copy the database. The error I get is :

Step Error Source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package

Step Error Description:Unspecified error

Step Error code: 80004005

Step Error Help File:sqldts80.hlp

Step Error Help Context ID:1100

Anyone has any idea what may be happeneing.

Thanks.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• According to BOL, you cannot use the Copy Wizard to copy user databases from 7.0 to 2000 if:

1)  You are using identical database names on the source and target servers or

2)  If the souce server is involved in replication. 

Try changing the name of your target DB and see if it works.  You can always change it to what you want it to be after it has been copied.

If your source server is used in replication, you can either turn off replication, or (if you can afford some downtime) use sp_attach.  To do this shut down SQL Server, get a cold copy of the database files, move them to the 2000 server and then use sp_attach.  When you attach the database, it will perform the conversion from 7.0 to 2000 for you. 

Hope this helps. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Almost forgot...

Something else to check is to make sure the source database is not in Read-only mode as this will generate an error and cause the copy to fail.  Check 'Using the Copy Database Wizard' in BOL for more info.  Best of luck.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Check the following article

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q274463

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply