failed logins ...

• It was requested of me to capture both failed and successful logins, but I do not like how setting this option on the server properties fills up the event viewer and errorlog. Does anyone have a handy way of capturing the IP of successful and failed logins without setting this server option. Or, having the login information redirected to a file other than the errorlog?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

ps - I set up a server side trace which worked fine minus the recording the IP address -- we need this in order to track what IP a failed login may be coming from.

• I don't know how to get IP addresses from SQL Server, but the AUDIT LOGIN, AUDIT LOGOUT, and AUDIT LOGIN FAILED events in SQL Trace all include the HostName column so you may be able to use that.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (8/12/2008)

I don't know how to get IP addresses from SQL Server, but the AUDIT LOGIN, AUDIT LOGOUT, and AUDIT LOGIN FAILED events in SQL Trace all include the HostName column so you may be able to use that.

Jack, thank you for replying and the suggestion. We are trying to find a way to get the IP address as not all connections have a HostName.

I don't mind the information that is output in the errorlog from changing the auditing level to record both failed and successful logins - I would just like this information in a separate file so I don't have to look through a ton of login information everyday.

• sorry didnt realize this was a dead thread...

Adam Durr
    Remote DBA support
    www.bluegecko.net

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply