Failover Clustering IP's

• For a 2 node active/passive cluster on Physical servers with shared storage. I am trying to setup Failover clustering for two nodes. I am looking for the required IP address needed.

So below is what I came up:

I need total of 3 IP addresses along with the virtual server names

1 IP address for Cluster name

Node 1 -  1 IP address(This IP will be used for Install the SQL first node of the clustered SQL instance at cluster Network configuration)

Node 2 - 1 IP address(This IP will be used for Install the SQL Second node of the clustered SQL instance at cluster Network configuration)

Correct me if I need additional IP addresses?

• I think you may be missing the Virtual IP address for the instance above:

1 x windows cluster ip

1 x SQL server instance virtual ip (missing above)

1 x MSDTC virtual ip (if applicable)

1 x public ip for each node (although you may team multiple NICs)

1 x heartbeat network

• Thanks! Sorry I wasn't clear, windows cluster is already configured. So I am looking to find how many more IP's is needed for install and configuring for SQL Server clustering only?

• Admingod wrote:

Thanks! Sorry I wasn't clear, windows cluster is already configured. So I am looking to find how many more IP's is needed for install and configuring for SQL Server clustering only?

You need

1. Windows cluster IP--You already have this as you have configured windows cluster, can ignore.
    2. Node 1 IP--You already have this as you have configured windows cluster, can ignore.
    3. Node 2 IP--You already have this as you have configured windows cluster, can ignore.
    4. SQL Server Cluster Instance IP
    5. If you have more instances you need more IP
    6. Two heartbeat internal IP
    7. msdtc IP

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  VastSQL.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply