FCI And Availability Groups

• Lets assume N/W band width across two data centers is very good, can i use AAG and FCI from Prod to DR, Prod is in DC1 and DR is in DC2. I am thinking if i have enough bandwidth across two data centers i could use DR as a true DR and HA solution, like when i do my server maintenance on Prod i would just failover to DC2, where the data should be available through AAG and instance name shouldn't change because Prod and DR would be in FCI. Is this true? Has anyone done this before?

• It sounds a little over-complicated. I think you could get what you want just using AlwaysOn Availability Groups.

If you need to keep the instance name the same because you don't want to be editing connection strings whenever you fail over, you could just set up a listener device within your AG and connect through that. This way you can fail your Availability Group(s) over and back and not have to change any connection strings.

Unless I've misunderstood the bit about the instance name :-D.

• Sure, good idea but that wouldn't sync logins, jobs, said packages etc

• That can be done. But you have to put your packages in SSISDB and that needs to be in as a AG database. Also I think the databases should be setup as contained databases to ensure all the objects pertaining to a database. But failover of a SSISDB should ensure encryption and decryption of the private key.

• I am trying to come up with a solution where there is less manual work needed, if i go with AAG as my DR then i will need to make sure jobs are in sync, logins are in sync etc..

AAG with FCI will give me the capability to have everything in sync without doing any extra work, do you agree?

• Yes sir you have will have more manual work for now but once set up the jobs on both the nodes you can enable a step to check if it is primary(on every job) and then it will execute the job. Failover of primary to DR will be less disruptive.

• Any reason why you wouldn't use FCI?

• curious_sqldba (12/15/2015)

Lets assume N/W band width across two data centers is very good, can i use AAG and FCI from Prod to DR, Prod is in DC1 and DR is in DC2. I am thinking if i have enough bandwidth across two data centers i could use DR as a true DR and HA solution, like when i do my server maintenance on Prod i would just failover to DC2, where the data should be available through AAG and instance name shouldn't change because Prod and DR would be in FCI. Is this true? Has anyone done this before?

incorporating FCIs into an AG has restrictions on the AG setup, it also increases the number of nodes required to facilitate such a setup.

Please read my stairway for more information starting at the following link

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/112556/[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply