Feeling exhausted, overworked and tired.

• Yeah, what Grant noted. If you're not satisfied in your job, the best time to look and change is when you can do so without pressure.

Many people take the first job offered, because they need it. Bills to pay, uncertainty, stress, etc. That's letting your career just randomly fall from job to job. If you want to move, and there's nothing wrong with this, move.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/12/2015)

Yeah, what Grant noted. If you're not satisfied in your job, the best time to look and change is when you can do so without pressure.

Many people take the first job offered, because they need it. Bills to pay, uncertainty, stress, etc. That's letting your career just randomly fall from job to job. If you want to move, and there's nothing wrong with this, move.

Thanks for the advice, very timely advice as well.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/12/2015)

Yeah, what Grant noted. If you're not satisfied in your job, the best time to look and change is when you can do so without pressure.

As my grandfather once told me don't drop your current girlfriend until you find a new one.

• Late to the conversation, but here's my input...

I have worked in a career where lives could be on the line (not daily, but frequently enough).

You have to make sure the work load is being distributed fairly. One thing that happens everywhere is that when a worker shows they are above the rest, they get the "lion's share" of the work dumped on them.

I worked a position that had three of us. My manager knew I was self-motivated and a stickler for accuracy (kind of anal in that way). He didn't have to watch over my shoulder or check my work. Not so with the other two. So the work kept getting assigned to me...normally I could handle it. But one day he complained to me about not getting something done when he wanted it done. I explained that he was giving me an unfair share of the work and he could assign it to one of the other two. If he wanted me to do it, he needed to either wait until I got more urgent work done or tell me which other work I could ignore. He ended up assigning it to one of the others. We had a talk after work and he admitted that I was his 'go-to' person mainly because he didn't have to watch over my shoulder to make sure work got done. After discussion on how to resolve the issues, he began assigning work to the other two and taking action if they didn't accomplish the work. I still got the critical work and the time-sensitive stuff, but the load became more balanced.

You are probably in the same situation...work is being assigned to you because you perform better than the other options. You need to sit with your manager/supervisor and discuss this with them. Bring up the following:

You want all work to go through your manager/supervisor and then be assigned. That way your manger/supervisor will know what you are working on.

You want you manager/supervisor to fairly assign work, so that you aren't doing more than you can handle.

If work requires you to continue after hours, you want compensation for it. It doesn't have to be pay.....it could be comparable time off. For example...if I work 4 hours or more after my normal hours, I get equivalent time off the next day (sleep in-wahoo!).

The big point to keep in mind...the "squeaky wheel gets the oil" but only if it doesn't squeak too much. That means...unless you are talking to your manager/supervisor about the issues, they think you are happy and okay with the situation. But complain too much and you could be let go.

-SQLBill

• Grumpy DBA (12/17/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/12/2015)

As my grandfather once told me don't drop your current girlfriend until you find a new one.

I'm not sure the analogy here is the same as the one for jobs. So, you're saying a guy should have a new girlfriend in the pipeline before he breaks up their old one? Before my married life, I sort of liked having the brief periods of unattachment in between, because it gave me some time to decompress and make a clean break before starting something new. 🙂

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (12/30/2015)

Grumpy DBA (12/17/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/12/2015)

I'm not sure the analogy here is the same as the one for jobs. So, you're saying a guy should have a new girlfriend in the pipeline before he breaks up their old one? Before my married life, I sort of liked having the brief periods of unattachment in between, because it gave me some time to decompress and make a clean break before starting something new. 🙂

Well, this is the same grandfather who told me to "never dip your pen in the company inkwell", so take it for what it's worth.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply