Field Causing SSRS to crash

• I have an SSRS report that I'm developing and whenever I add one field to the report it causes SSRS to shut down. The report will run fine with all the other fields as long as the trouble field is not included.

I am using a dataset which calls a stored procedure.

The max length of this field is 43.

• not enough info Laura; we'd really need the specific error that occurs to offer solid advice; what does "causes SSRS to shut down" mean to you? that that one report does nto render, or runs forever?

how many columns in the report? the more info you give us, the more we can help you.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Wish I could give you a specific error. Visual Studio just shuts down saying it encountered an error and asks me if I want to send a report to Microsoft. There are 40 fields in the report including the problem field.

• What happens when you run the SP with the exact same parameters in management studio? If it runs, look for bad data.

• yeah it runs fine. Guess I'll be on the hunt for bad data.

Thanks.

• Can you execute the stored procedure with the same parameters from the query designer in SSRS without crashing? If it works OK there, you might try to limit your troubleshooting to the report design and the specific field itself.

• Laura,

I am also having the same issue exactly. I guess some data is in different format in that particular column causing this error. But i am still looking for exact fix.

Try to retrieve very few rows from database and check whether report is rendering or not. (select top 2 * from ..)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please feel free to let me know if you are not clear or I’ve misunderstood anything.

Thanks,
    Arunkumar S P

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply