Field Type to use for Elapsed Time in HH:MM?

• charles.frank (11/3/2008)

Thanks for all of these ideas. They've helped me narrow the scope of what I need. I'm most interested in the amount of time that machines take to produce certain products. My company makes many different flavors of products using the same equipment. This value will be used to create a schedule for the machine(s) that includes production, cleaning, maintenance, etc. I've elected to store the amount of time in seconds in an integer field. This answers the question of "How long does it take to make SKU #123?" The amount of time it takes to make each flavor is already known and fairly steady. I'm using seconds because they're granular enough for my purpose and the values will be easy to use. The user will still see HH:MM from the front-end, but the values will be stored as seconds.

Example Schedule (used to determine how much product can be produced in a given time). Schedules will be made weekly.

Make flavor #1: 3600 seconds

Clean: 600 seconds

Make flavor #2: 7200 seconds

Clean: 600 seconds

Maintenance: 1200 seconds

Thanks again for all of you comments!

😀

Heh... :hehe: I tried... 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply