File 'xxxx' is not a recognizable trace file

• In this morning, when I tried to check default trace for some info. I get the following error.

Actually, file is right there, and MSSQL has enough permission on it. If I copy the file to other drives or machines, it works well. 

Did you ever run into similar issue? Any thought on it?

GASQL.com - Focus on Database and Cloud

• The file is the one currently being written to. When you copy it, that's no longer the case.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Monday, February 26, 2018 10:02 AM

The file is the one currently being written to. When you copy it, that's no longer the case.

There are 5 trace files(Log_631.trc~Log_635.trc) there, on default trace. Got the same error when trying to SELECT from other files.
    select * from fn_trace_gettable('F:\MSSQL\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log\log_634.trc', default)

After copying them to other drives or machine, it works well.

• Have you tried stopping and removing the trace? If it works after the trace has been removed, then it means the trace is holding onto the file(s). I've noticed that stopping the trace alone will not allow me to access the trace file.

• RandomStream - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 6:04 PM

Have you tried stopping and removing the trace? If it works after the trace has been removed, then it means the trace is holding onto the file(s). I've noticed that stopping the trace alone will not allow me to access the trace file.

I didn't try to stop or remove it. Since it's default trace, it can not be stopped or modified. We set it on by default as part of standard. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply