find blocks without sysadmin rights

• hi guys I am really in a dilemma here, is there any way to see the blocks happening in sql server without being a sysadmin?

the way i check for blocks is running this query but i don't have permissions in my production server.

SELECT

s.spid, BlockingSPID = s.blocked, DatabaseName = DB_NAME(s.dbid),

s.program_name, s.loginame, ObjectName = OBJECT_NAME(objectid, s.dbid), Definition = CAST(text AS VARCHAR(MAX))

FROM sys.sysprocesses s

CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text (sql_handle)

WHERE

s.spid > 50

• I don't think that you can get this to run without some rights. Possibly serveradmin or processadmin rights can let you see this, but someone would need to give you those rights.

• Let me know if this helps:

GRANT VIEW SERVER STATE to YourLogin

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186717.aspx

ask your sysadmins to give you the above rights. At least you will be able to open the Activity Monitor.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• thanks this sounds exactly what i need, do you know what other permissions does this grant? also i could only view not make changes correct?

• Yes. There is another permission "ALTER SERVER STATE" , check out the link in my previous post. If you need more, maybe your sysadmin has to give you rights as Steve says the roles ProcessAdmin or ServerAdmin

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• thanks, no that's enough rights, i just want to be able to view. thank youuu

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply