Find stored procedures giving errors

• hi guys i have a question, we made a couple of changes in some tables in the database, we have a couple of stored procedures giving us error due to this. Is there a way to test with the profiler the stored procedures that are giving us error? Maybe i could run the application to run some forms and see what the profiler says. So i could modify them? if so which events and columns should i put in the profiler? or is there another way?

• Your correct. You can use the profiler for this case. Catch the below events and columns.

Events

RPC: Completed

SQL: Batch Complete

Columns

TextData

Any other columns would you think is necessary.

Apply some filters so that you will not get unwanted entries. Eg: Database name, loginName, etc

Susantha

• thanks, should i also include the error and warning events ? the error i am looking for is for ambigous joins.

• Not necessarily. Once you get the error, your application will stop at that point thus you can refer the profiler output to see that last entry. (assuming unwanted entries will not capture).

Then use that sp in SSMS and manual execute it then troubleshoot.

Susantha

• Thank you so much!

• Another way would be via DBPro's schema view. It's a lot easier to identify which objects in the project become invalid due to any kind of change(s). If you have access to it...you should use it. It's an absolute beauty.

The vision must be followed by the venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps - we must step up the stairs. - Vance Havner
  • i have redgate data compare, can i use that?

• Data compare is to compare data not structure. To compare structure you could use Red gate's sql compare...but again the main idea of this tool is to give you differences between 2 instances of the database. I am not sure if it will highlight that these set of objects are invalid although it will definitely show up during the compare.

The vision must be followed by the venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps - we must step up the stairs. - Vance Havner
  • is there a way to download a trial version of DBPro's schema view? I have visual studio 2005

• Schema View is a feature in DBPro. You need to install DBPro (VS 2005 Team Edition for DB Professionals) for that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply