Find the last executed part of a stored procedure

• Hello

I have a stored procedure that performs a number of tasks (inserts, updates etc.)

It's been running for a number of hours now and I'm not sure how far through it is

sp_who2 and dbcc inputbuffer don't reveal an awful lot (other that the sp that is running)

Is there a way to find out what the last part executed was or what it is in the middle of doing?

I'm aware of profilers but, as the sp is running, can't really set this up now

Also aware (for future reference), I should really break this up as that makes it easier to track

Any thoughts?

Thanks

- Damian

• DamianC (9/15/2015)

I'm aware of profilers but, as the sp is running, can't really set this up now

SQL Profiler should be able to show you the next statement to be executed (WITHIN the SProc) ...

.. but not the one currently executing, e.g. if that is the ONE statement that is taking forever ...

• If you do a select from sys.dm_exec_requests for the session_id in question it will give you the start and end statement offsets.

Its the number of characters into the statement the task is up to, if you have a large proc, trying to get the character position might be tricky.

• Thanks for the response

Profiler doesn't quite give the answer

sys.dm_exec_requests for the session_id is useful

If I look at the start and end offset (then divide by 2 to get characters), it's right in the middle of an update

Is there an easy way to character count as I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly

Thanks

- Damian

• Look at the Books Online entry for either sys.dm_exec_requests or sys.dm_exec_query_stats (or maybe sys.dm_exec_sql_text) as one of them has an example query using the statement offsets.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply