Finding Within dates

• Hi 
         Im new to sql  and I have a date column created , I'm trying to find data within these time durations

If within 7 days
    If between 7-14 days 
    if over 14 days

how would i go about writing this ?

Many thanks

• DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) AND GETDATE() --Would return rows where the DateColumn has a value 20-Jan-2017 to now INCLUSIVE

DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) AND DATEADD(DAY-7, CAST(GETDATE()) AS DATE)) --Would return rows where the DateColumn has a value from 13-Jan-2017 to 20-Jan-2017 INCLUSIVE

DateColumn < DATEADD(DAY-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) --Would rows where the DateColumn has a value before 13-Jan-2017

Note, there is an overlap on the first two. Depending on your requirements you can change the values.

I have also CAST GETDATE() as a date, as I have assumed that you want values from earlier in time 7 days ago. For example, it is 11:42 for me right now. If I did not cast GETDATE() to a date, the results that have a time prior to 11:42 on 20-Jan-2017 in the first statement would be excluded. That is because 20-Jan-2017 10:03 is 7 days, 1 hour and 39 minutes ago (which is more than 7 days ago).

If you column is a true DATE column, rather than DATETIME, then they would all be assumed to have a time value of 00:00:00.000 when compared to a DATETIME (which would have the same effect as above).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, January 27, 2017 4:41 AM

DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) AND GETDATE() --Would return rows where the DateColumn has a value 20-Jan-2017 to now INCLUSIVE

DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) AND DATEADD(DAY-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) --Would return rows where the DateColumn has a value from 13-Jan-2017 to 20-Jan-2017 INCLUSIVE

DateColumn < DATEADD(DAY-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) --Would rows where the DateColumn has a value before 13-Jan-2017

Note, there is an overlap on the first two. Depending on your requirements you can change the values.

I have also CAST GETDATE() as a date, as I have assumed that you want values from earlier in time 7 days ago. For example, it is 11:42 for me right now. If I did not cast GETDATE() to a date, the results that have a time prior to 11:42 on 20-Jan-2017 in the first statement would be excluded. That is because 20-Jan-2017 10:03 is 7 days, 1 hour and 39 minutes ago (which is more than 7 days ago).

If you column is a true DATE column, rather than DATETIME, then they would all be assumed to have a time value of 00:00:00.000 when compared to a DATETIME (which would have the same effect as above).

how would i script this when im writing it within a case statement , so when created within 7 days  when etc when etc end

ive tried to do the following

SELECT 
            CASE 
                WHEN created BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY,-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) AND GETDATE() THEN 'Valid'

END
    FROM dbo.u_contact

but it doesn't like it

• CASE WHEN DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY,-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) AND GETDATE() THEN 1
        WHEN DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY,-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) AND DATEADD(DAY, -7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) THEN 2
        WHEN DateColumn < DATEADD(DAY,-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) THEN 3
    END

To reiterate, the overlap is still present., however, a result of 7 days will always return 1 and never 2, as 1 is evaluated first. Also, if you have any values with a date value greater than the current date and time, NULL will be returned.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, January 27, 2017 5:12 AM

CASE WHEN DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) AND GETDATE() THEN 1
        WHEN DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) AND DATEADD(DAY-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) THEN 2
        WHEN DateColumn < DATEADD(DAY-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) THEN 3
    END

To reiterate, the overlap is still present., however, a result of 7 days will always return 1 and never 2, as 1 is evaluated first. Also, if you have any values with a date value greater than the current date and time, NULL will be returned.

with that code i get  Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'AND'.

• Suth - Friday, January 27, 2017 5:14 AM

Thom A - Friday, January 27, 2017 5:12 AM

CASE WHEN DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) AND GETDATE() THEN 1
        WHEN DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) AND DATEADD(DAY-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) THEN 2
    END

I've found copy and paste to be very unreliable on SSC recently, It seems to have stripped loads of my characters out.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, January 27, 2017 5:15 AM

Suth - Friday, January 27, 2017 5:14 AM

Thom A - Friday, January 27, 2017 5:12 AM

END

I've found copy and paste to be very unreliable on SSC recently, it stripped by double brackets. I've corrected my post since.

Still the same issue appears

SELECT
    CASE WHEN Created BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY,-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) AND GETDATE() THEN 1
      WHEN Created BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY,-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) AND DATEADD(DAY-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) THEN 2
      WHEN Created < DATEADD(DAY,-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE) THEN 3
    END
    FROM dbo.u_contact

• CREATE TABLE #Date (DateColumn DATE)
    GO

INSERT INTO #Date
    SELECT '01-Jan-2017';
    GO

SELECT CASE WHEN DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY,-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) AND GETDATE() THEN 1
        WHEN DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY,-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) AND DATEADD(DAY,-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) THEN 2
       END
    FROM #Date
    GO

DROP TABLE #Date;

It works.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Come on, this is a simple syntax error.  You should be able to troubleshoot it yourself.  Hint: count the open parentheses and the close parentheses on each line.

John

• John Mitchell-245523 - Friday, January 27, 2017 5:22 AM

Come on, this is a simple syntax error.  You should be able to troubleshoot it yourself.  Hint: count the open parentheses and the close parentheses on each line.

John

I want to know where my parenthesis went when I pasted 🙁

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, January 27, 2017 5:23 AM

John Mitchell-245523 - Friday, January 27, 2017 5:22 AM

Come on, this is a simple syntax error.  You should be able to troubleshoot it yourself.  Hint: count the open parentheses and the close parentheses on each line.

John

I want to know where my parenthesis went when I pasted 🙁

Works fine now it was the brackets after the 

AS DATE))

was missing. 

Thank you for your help

• I've been having copy and paste issues too in the new forums... I've been pasting my queries into Notepad, then copying from that to paste into the forums, seems to work better for me anyway. 😛

• Thom A - Friday, January 27, 2017 5:19 AM

CREATE TABLE #Date (DateColumn DATE)
    GO

INSERT INTO #Date
    SELECT '01-Jan-2017';
    GO

SELECT CASE WHEN DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY,-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) AND GETDATE() THEN 1
        WHEN DateColumn BETWEEN DATEADD(DAY,-14, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) AND DATEADD(DAY,-7, CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE)) THEN 2
       END
    FROM #Date
    GO

DROP TABLE #Date;

It works.

You can cheat like hell on this one, Tom.  Remember that none of it will be greater than GETDATE() and remember that the CASE statement evaluates in the same order as what it is written.  That will allow you to greatly simplify the code especially if you think about it "backwards". :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Suth - Friday, January 27, 2017 4:31 AM

Hi 
         Im new to sql  and I have a date column created , I'm trying to find data within these time durations

If within 7 days
    If between 7-14 days 
    if over 14 days

how would i go about writing this ?

Many thanks

What format should the output look like?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply