firehose mode

• Please give me a solution for the below specified problem

Am creating a database application using VB 6.0, I am using the Begin and Commit transaction. While executing the connection.BeginTrans statement, it throwing an error “transaction can not start while in firehose mode”. While we removed the begin Trans and commit Trans statements the program executing with out any error.

• Make sure there is nothing pending on the connection, ie open recordset or use a separate connection

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• The error actually  said "firehose mode"?  Wow!  So many jokes, so little brain...

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• connection.BeginTrans()  switches your connection to "implicit transactions" !!

Everything you do on that connection will automatic start a new transaction, unless there is allready one. This means you'll have to use commit/rollback to start with a "clean" set.

Because we don't want long transactions, we advise to use a sqlcmd with the "begin transaction" sql-statement and afterward use commit/rollback in that transaction.

A connection.CommitTrans()  or .rollbacktrans does not reset the "implicit transactions"-setting for the connection !!!

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I use exactly the same technique with VB 6 and SQL Server 2005 and it is funny but I have never seen this kind of error (although I have a collection of plenty other unexplainable ones...)

basically every time I want to modify more than one record or table in the DB I begin the transaction using ADO Begintrans method and I immediately commit or rollback

• Hi All,

Thank you very much. I will check my code and close if there is any open recordset exists.

Thanks and Regards

Sajan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply