• Miles Neale (8/24/2012)

Michael Valentine Jones (8/24/2012)

Miles Neale (8/24/2012)

Michael Valentine Jones (8/24/2012)

Keep in mind the normal project life-cycle:

1. Set the delivery date

2. Throw some crap together.

3. Test

4. If testing is successful, then go live, otherwise go live.

5. Define requirements.

6. Go back to step 1.:crying:

Joke or the way you really see it?

I made this up as a joke at one place I worked, but I never heard anyone say that's not the way we do things.

This is the "true" project life-cycle, as opposed to the one people claim to be following.

If this is the way it really is, you also may need to look for a better job where better things are done better. Slapdash is not excellence. I know that tho "a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained". But to work in a shop that plans to fail as you define the process is to work with failure as your goal. Where is pride in your work if you strive only to do poorly?

As a joke I find it funny, as a possible truism I find it not so.

As I said, it was at a place where I worked, meaning it’s not where I work now and I don’t need advice on looking for a new job.

I don't think they were planning to fail or do poorly. They just operated according to the demands of the business which set due dates without regard of resources, practicality, or anything else.

However, I have seen this same anti-pattern so many times that I have come to view it as the default project life-cycle of the real world. Kind of a dirty secret that no one mentions while they pretend they are following traditional, structured, agile, lean, extreme, or some other methodology of the day.

"I've found out why people laugh. They laugh because it hurts so much… because it's the only thing that'll make it stop hurting."

Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

• Carrie.Sim (8/24/2012)

Software development for me is an art. It needs experience architect with hand-on and practical experience to design an efficient database access. But, most of the time, a lot of peoples started with coding directly, because he/she not able to think ahead,plan or imagine the scope in future.

Sometime/most of the time, the scope of the system and requirements also changing from time to time. Beside we have very experience Business System Analyst.

Therefore, why we need to spend more time in maintenence, it boiled down lack of experience and critical thinking leader, architect, system analyst.

AMEN!

Creator of SQLFacts, a free suite of tools for SQL Server database professionals.

• Michael Valentine Jones (8/24/2012)

As I said, it was at a place where I worked, meaning it’s not where I work now and I don’t need advice on looking for a new job.

I don't think they were planning to fail or do poorly. They just operated according to the demands of the business which set due dates without regard of resources, practicality, or anything else.

However, I have seen this same anti-pattern so many times that I have come to view it as the default project life-cycle of the real world. Kind of a dirty secret that no one mentions while they pretend they are following traditional, structured, agile, lean, extreme, or some other methodology of the day.

I've seen it too. And not because the programmers wanted it that way. It puts programmers in the position of suffering through a job that they want to love but can't afford to lose, or risk being fired when they speak up against it.

Jay Bienvenu | http://bienv.com | http://twitter.com/jbnv

• I've seen it too. And not because the programmers wanted it that way. It puts programmers in the position of suffering through a job that they want to love but can't afford to lose, or risk being fired when they speak up against it.

Talk about a rock and a hard place! I've known plenty of good programmers who were forced into that same situation, due to marketing deadlines that were set before IT even found out about the project.

Tony
    ------------------------------------
    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply