Fixing linked server w/o restarting SQL Server?

• HI all,

We are having a problem with a linked server configuration we have.

The linked server is to a DB2 mainframe database using an ODBC connection constructed through the DB2 Connect product. On our side we have SQL 2000 with SP3.

Lately we have been having issues where we're getting stack dumps recorded in the SQL Server event log and Access Violations that refer to the linked server configuration. We're currently trying to work out why this is occurring.

The real problem is that because of the above error the linked server appears to get 'hung' and the only way we can find to make it work again is to restart the SQL Server service. This is impossible during the day with our production system so we have to wait until after hours which of course means that we're without DB2 server connectivity for the entire day.

Is there a way to free up a hung linked server connection like this without restarting SQL Server? I've found similar questions like this on the web but have had no luck with the answers.....

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

• if You are using OLEDB Provider for ODBC Drivers to connect to the remote DB I believe you are out of luck on that one. It is very dependent on the support of the the odbc driver writters used with SQL Server.

I would try to get the latest driver(or patch) to see if it does the trick.

I have had this problems in the past and sometimes just getting rid of the DLLHOST process Did it but again is heavely dependent on the driver.

The other thing is to try HOST integeration Server but I personaly have no experience with it

HTH

* Noel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply