force select permissions on table creation

• I may be a little long winded on my explanation becuase i'm somewhat a newbie when it comes to sql server security.

I have two differenct permissions.

webUser - which is the user who should have select permissions to the new table

billingUser - this is the user who has db_owner.

BillingUser runs a monthly process to archive data and then create a new table for the current month. In the past when he did this the user webUser automatically got select permissions to this new table. However since we migrated the db to another box this no longer happens and i have to do it manually. Does anyone have any idea how i set this up to ensure the select permissions are available to webUser when BillingUser creates a new table?

• If it's okay for webUser to select from any user table in the database, you can make him a member of db_datareader fixed database role. Can you check the old database to see if that's how it's set up?

Greg

• I'd put the archive tables in their own schema and grant webuser select rights on the schema, then webuser will have select permissions on any objects created in that schema without having to do anything extra. Just be sure you are only putting objects you want webuser to be able to read in that schema.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• i've played with a database trigger that adds permissions to a role when a DDL event like creating a table occurs;

this would also do what you are asking:

CREATE TRIGGER [TR_AddNewObjects_ToDefaultRoles]

ON DATABASE

FOR

CREATE_PROCEDURE,

CREATE_FUNCTION,

CREATE_VIEW,

CREATE_TABLE

AS

BEGIN

EXECUTE AS LOGIN = 'superman' --this user has rights to fiddle with creating/adding roles

SET NOCOUNT ON

declare @ObjectDef table(definition varchar(max))

declare

@eventData XML,

@DATABASENAME SYSNAME,

@EVENTDATE DATETIME,

@USERNAME SYSNAME,

@SYSTEMUSER VARCHAR(128),

@CURRENTUSER VARCHAR(128),

@ORIGINALUSER VARCHAR(128),

@HOSTNAME VARCHAR(128),

@APPLICATIONNAME VARCHAR(128),

@SCHEMANAME SYSNAME,

@OBJECTNAME SYSNAME,

@OBJECTTYPE SYSNAME,

@EVENTTYPE VARCHAR(128),

@COMMANDTEXT VARCHAR(max),

@NAMEFORDEFINITION VARCHAR(261),

@CMD VARCHAR(500)

--Load Variables from the xml

SET @eventData = eventdata()

SELECT

@DATABASENAME = db_name(),

@EVENTDATE = GETDATE(),

@USERNAME = @eventData.value('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/UserName)[1]', 'SYSNAME'),

@SYSTEMUSER = SUSER_SNAME(),

@CURRENTUSER = CURRENT_USER,

@ORIGINALUSER = ORIGINAL_LOGIN(),

@HOSTNAME = HOST_NAME(),

@APPLICATIONNAME = APP_NAME(),

@SCHEMANAME = @eventData.value('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/SchemaName)[1]', 'SYSNAME'),

@OBJECTNAME = @eventData.value('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ObjectName)[1]', 'SYSNAME'),

@OBJECTTYPE = @eventData.value('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/ObjectType)[1]', 'SYSNAME'),

@COMMANDTEXT = @eventData.value('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/TSQLCommand/CommandText)[1]','VARCHAR(MAX)'),

@EVENTTYPE = @eventData.value('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/EventType)[1]', 'nvarchar(128)')

--get the object definition

SET @NAMEFORDEFINITION = '[' + @SCHEMANAME + '].[' + @OBJECTNAME + ']';

--select the right role for the event.

PRINT 'Event Type: ' + @EVENTTYPE

IF @EVENTTYPE = 'CREATE_TABLE'

BEGIN

SET @CMD = 'GRANT SELECT ON [Schema.TheObject] TO ROLE_ALLTABLES_SELECT'

SET @CMD = REPLACE(@CMD,'[Schema.TheObject]',@NAMEFORDEFINITION)

PRINT @CMD

EXEC(@CMD)

END;

REVERT; --let go of the superman permissions

END --DB TRIGGER

GO

ENABLE TRIGGER [TR_AddNewObjects_ToDefaultRoles] ON DATABASE

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Very well. Then. Thanks guys. I'm going to tool around w/ urr suggestions and get back to u.

thanks

• Alright, so it turns out the webUser was already tied to a webUser role. Are you guys saying if i ensure the webUser role has access to these new tables then the webuser itself will also have access to sed new tables? If so then that will make it much easier because i'm dealing w/ about 100 db's each w/ their own webUser_db permissions. I assume in these instances it is better to have them all tied to a common role for this exact scenerio.....So when u need to modify a user u dont have to change it everywhere.

Does that sound logical?

• In my opinion using roles is the best way to assign permissions. Grant permissions to the role and assign users to the appropriate role(s). I still think in the scenario you describe with archive table being created by an automated process, that using a dedicated schema for those automatically created tables and granting select on the schema is the best way to manage permissions.

Jack Corbett

• if i were to take the schema route the uses would automatically have the proper rights to those newely created tables correct? Assumeing i set up the users permission to the schema properly.

• Yes, if you go the schema route and grant the necessary permissions on the schema then the rights are "inherited" for every object in the schema. Here's an example:

User: WebUser - no explicit permissions granted

Role: WebUsers - WebUser is added to this role.

Schema: WebArchive - WebUsers granted SELECT permissions

Tables: WebArchive.SalesJanuary2011

WebArchive.SalesFebruary2011

dbo.SalesMarch2011

With this simple setup WebUser would have SELECT persmissions on the first 2 tables, but not the third.

Jack Corbett

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply