Forcing a null

• Is there a way to show null if there are no records that match the query key?

for example:

I am looking for 5 cities

so I query my table looking for people that match those cities

Lets say that there are only 2 cities that match with people

so my result is

city1|person1

city2|person2

but what I would like is

city1|person1

city2|person2

city3|null

city4|null

city5|null

is there some special way to accomplish this?

• You can do a LEFT OUTER JOIN onto Persons.

SQL returns all matched on the left and any possibles or null on the right.

CP

Why don't you try practicing random acts of intelligence and senseless acts of self-control?

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• Here's what i've got so far

SELECT dbo.calendar.weekend, dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID

FROM dbo.calendar LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.RepWeeklyApp ON dbo.calendar.weekend = dbo.RepWeeklyApp.WeekEnd

WHERE (dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID = 'CB909B54-7C0F-4908-B059-52B4027326AC') AND (dbo.calendar.weekend BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME,

'2003-01-10 00:00:00', 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME, '2003-02-07 00:00:00', 102))

yet this only returns

2 records when there should be 5 because there are 5 weekends between the two dates

• If you leave out the second part of your where, does it work then?

As far as I can see, that is what's causing the select to return the two rows.

Why don't you try practicing random acts of intelligence and senseless acts of self-control?

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• nope. Because in the RepWeeklyApp table there are only 2 records that filter with the where (ie. only 2 records with that repID.) This has been driving me crazy all morning and I still can't figure this out

• hmmm, Not sure then.

Possible to backup the db (one with one two tables) and email to me?

cproctor@idi.co.za

CP

• You need to change the first part of your WHERE clause (before the AND) to this:

(dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID = 'CB909B54-7C0F-4908-B059-52B4027326AC' OR dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID IS NULL)

Jay Madren

Jay Madren

• quote:

You need to change the first part of your WHERE clause (before the AND) to this:

(dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID = 'CB909B54-7C0F-4908-B059-52B4027326AC' OR dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID IS NULL)

Jay Madren

Thanx Jay, that worked ....sorta.

my only problem with this is because the calendar table has the weekend (friday) date of everymonth this year I kinda get more than records than I want. I tried leaving in the date comparison and I still get the same two records.

• You need the date comparison to limit the rows to those weekends you want. I suspect that you have a logic error in your where clause - probably parenthesis grouping. Whenever you use OR logic you have to be careful of that. Post your code and we'll try to figure it out.

Jay Madren

Jay Madren

• quote:

You need the date comparison to limit the rows to those weekends you want. I suspect that you have a logic error in your where clause - probably parenthesis grouping. Whenever you use OR logic you have to be careful of that. Post your code and we'll try to figure it out.

Jay Madren

WHERE (dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID = 'CB909B54-7C0F-4908-B059-52B4027326AC'OR dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID IS NULL) AND (dbo.calendar.weekend BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME,'2003-01-10 00:00:00', 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME, '2003-02-07 00:00:00', 102))

the above code only returns 2 rows

this code

WHERE (dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID = 'CB909B54-7C0F-4908-B059-52B4027326AC'OR dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID IS NULL) AND (dbo.calendar.weekend BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME,

'2003-01-10 00:00:00', 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME, '2003-02-07 00:00:00', 102) or repweeklyapp.weekend is null)

returns almost what i'm looking for, but the date comparison isn't delimiting the number of rows. I tried this with and without the date comparison and "or repweeklyapp.weekend is null" neither gave me what I was looking for.

• Ok, you must have a lot of actual records where RepWeeklyApp.RepID is indeed null. I assumed that it was a PK or FK that would never contain null.

So try this:

WHERE (dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID = 'CB909B54-7C0F-4908-B059-52B4027326AC' OR dbo.RepWeeklyApp.WeekEnd IS NULL) AND (dbo.calendar.weekend BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME,'2003-01-10 00:00:00', 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME, '2003-02-07 00:00:00', 102))

By the way, is there a specific reason that you're using the CONVERT function? Simply '2003-01-10' is always interpreted by SQL Server as 'Jan 10 2003 00:00' no matter what the locale or language.

Jay Madren

Jay Madren

• quote:

Ok, you must have a lot of actual records where RepWeeklyApp.RepID is indeed null. I assumed that it was a PK or FK that would never contain null.

So try this:

WHERE (dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID = 'CB909B54-7C0F-4908-B059-52B4027326AC' OR dbo.RepWeeklyApp.WeekEnd IS NULL) AND (dbo.calendar.weekend BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME,'2003-01-10 00:00:00', 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME, '2003-02-07 00:00:00', 102))

By the way, is there a specific reason that you're using the CONVERT function? Simply '2003-01-10' is always interpreted by SQL Server as 'Jan 10 2003 00:00' no matter what the locale or language.

Jay Madren

Actually yes, there are a quite a number of records that would be null. This query that i'm trying to write will basically generate a report that will show those reps who do and do not have any appointments, thus the reason for the nulls. And as far as the convert, yes I know it's not needed. I was playing around in the querybuilder and it added the convert to my between.

Unfortunately the sql that you posted still only returns 2 rows. At this point i'm starting to wonder if the results i'm looking for are actually possible. Thanx for your help. I really appreciate it.

• I know this is going to look weird but is there any to join both of these statements together

SELECT (dbo.Reps.[Last] + ', ' + dbo.Reps.[First]) as repname, dbo.RepWeeklyApp.Made1st, dbo.RepWeeklyApp.Kept1st, dbo.RepWeeklyApp.PGs, dbo.RepWeeklyApp.MS,

dbo.RepWeeklyApp.Made2nd, dbo.RepWeeklyApp.Kept2nd, dbo.RepWeeklyApp.Closed2nd, dbo.RepWeeklyApp.LastEditDate,

dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RegManager, @weekend as 'weekend'

FROM dbo.Reps LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.RepWeeklyApp ON dbo.Reps.ID = dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID

where reps.regmanager=@mgr and (@weekend = weekend or weekend is null) and dateterminated is null

order by last[\i]

and

select * from calendar where weekend between @date1 and date2[\i]

both of these statements sorta give me what i'm looking for and if I could sort of use the results from statement 2 in statement 1 then i'd be home free! Any ideas?

• How about using a derived table to obtain the weekends, then an outer join to return the rows that you want?

SELECT calendar.weekend, RepiD

FROM

(SELECT Weekend

FROM dbo.calendar

WHERE weekend BETWEEN '2003-01-10' AND '2003-02-07') t1

LEFT JOIN dbo.RepWeeklyApp

ON t1.weekend = RepWeeklyApp.weekend

WHERE RepWeeklyApp.RepID = 'CB909B54-7C0F-4908-B059-52B4027326AC'

• I haven't looked in detail at all the postings, but from past experience I've found when doing outer joins and trying to limit the results with a WHERE clause, you won't get what you think. Try moving the WHERE criteria into the FROM/ON clause:

ON dbo.calendar.weekend = dbo.RepWeeklyApp.WeekEnd
    AND
    (dbo.RepWeeklyApp.RepID = 'CB909B54-7C0F-4908-B059-52B4027326AC') AND (dbo.calendar.weekend BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME,
    '2003-01-10 00:00:00', 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME, '2003-02-07 00:00:00', 102))

-Dan

-Dan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply