Foreign Key Constraint

• Hi All,

Can anybody let me know the SQL statement to retrieve the Column name on a particular table on which a foreign key constraint has been created. I had tried to retrieve the data from SysColumns and SysForeignKeys but was not able to get the output. can anybody help me in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

• Assuming you're using SQL Server 2000, the sysreferences table should contain the information you're looking for.

John

• try using sp_fkey 'tablename'. this should give u info on foregin key imposed in a table.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Yes I am using SQL 2000 and i had tried in Sysreferences already and i could not get the column name. i was able to fetch the table name only.

Regarding the sp_fkey 'tablename', it didnt work for me. one more thing is i would be using this within a procedure so sp_fkey will not help me. if there is any select query to return the result, it would be fine.

• This is how you do it.  If your foreign key constraints are on composite keys, then the logic gets a little bit more complicated, but it isn't difficult to work out.

SELECT OBJECT_NAME(r.constid) AS ConstraintName,

OBJECT_NAME(r.fkeyid) AS ConstraintTable,

c1.NAME AS ReferencingColumn,

OBJECT_NAME(r.rkeyid) AS ReferencedTable,

c2.NAME AS ReferencedColumn

FROM sysreferences r JOIN syscolumns c1

ON r.fkeyid = c1.id AND r.fkey1 = c1.colid

JOIN syscolumns c2

ON r.rkeyid = c2.id AND r.rkey1 = c2.colid

John

• Thanks a lot John!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply