Foreign Keys between tables in different databases

• Hello,

I wonder if anybody would have a suggestion on dealing with this situation. In our organisation we have one central database that holds the majority of our data. There is a table in another database that we now support that needs to use a table in the central database as a lookup. Is it possible to create foreign key links between tables in 2 separate databases, and if so, is it advisable ? If not, what can I do ? (I dont want to start replicating the table between the databases). Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

IDBOracle

• Cross database foreign keys are not supported in SQL Server.  For query purposes, however, you can create linked servers (same as db links in Oracle) and then query across the linked server and filter off/join/query the remote table.

• Maybe you could create a trigger that would perform the integrity checks that you need on insert, update etc.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• If you're on 2005, you could move both databases into one and separate the tables with schemas, and then use foreign keys for integrity. You could do the same with 2000, using either a naming convention to separate the tables or different table owners.

Triggers would work to, but in can get tricky if you're modifying data in the parent lookup table.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply