Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help

• Thank you for this helpful article.

One further issue i have is i don't know how to actually post in SQL code.

I see people have it added and it seems to have been formatted in some way with a dark background.

When i try to simply copy paste as plain text and then post i always gets a connection reset message, which i assume is protection against SQL injection?

Any pointers on this would help.

I have tried ctrl, k which offered to insert a hyperlink.

Thanks,

Q

• quentin.harris (7/8/2016)

Thank you for this helpful article.

One further issue i have is i don't know how to actually post in SQL code.

I see people have it added and it seems to have been formatted in some way with a dark background.

When i try to simply copy paste as plain text and then post i always gets a connection reset message, which i assume is protection against SQL injection?

Any pointers on this would help.

I have tried ctrl, k which offered to insert a hyperlink.

Thanks,

Q

What you do is wrap your code in [ code="sql"]query here [ /code] tags (remove the space between the square bracket and the code / /code)

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• It may be your company trying to protect itself against people posting code from its computers. You may find you have to do things like this to get it to allow you to post:CRE ATE TABLE

DR OP TABLE

DEC LARE @variable

John

• Hi,

I'm afraid i am a little dense this morning.

What does this mean? I don't see any option of adding code tags.

What you do is wrap your code in [ code="sql"]query here [ /code] tags (remove the space between the square bracket and the code / /code)

Is there perhaps a way to see an image of what this looks like?

Q

• You can either type those tags as you see them, or you can select them from the IFCode Shortcuts section, just to the left of where you type, in the Post Reply window.

John

• Ahhhhhhh.... so i can select the SQL code tag, then where it says "sql",

i insert my SQL between the "" and post?

• Not quite. The "sql" is telling the website that it's SQL code so that it can splash it with lots of pretty pinks and blues. No, type where the cursor lies after you select the tag, between the first "]" and the second "[". Give it a try!

John

• Thanks for your perseverance!

Select @test-2

• And thanks for the early morning cover on this, John. I appreciate it!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Mid-morning for me, Jeff. Easier to think when you've been awake for a few hours!

John

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• ricomk007 - Thursday, August 3, 2017 1:54 AM

Please Students. Some can HELP ME Answer this Questions BELOW.

--- How to create AlwaysOn Avability Group Configured in Syncrhronous mode. That With prevent any impact on the performance of the

Database Writes?
    To answer, Move the Appropriate actions from the List of actions in sequence orders Below on right hand side
    1.Add a new Availability replica in synchronous mode.
    2.Configure read-only routing.
    3.Set Readable secondary to yes.
    ----You have name called Named ProdSrv1 and ProdSrv2.Each server has a Database to summary table in the orders Databse on ProdSrv2.
    To Answer, Move The Appropriate actions from the list of actions in order Below on right hand side
    1.Create a subscription of the publication in the orders database on ProdSrv2.
    2.Configure ProdSrv1 as a Publisher.
    3.Configure a publication of the orderSummary table on ProdSrv2.
    4.Configure ProdSrv2 as a Distributor
    ----You Administer SQL Serve 2012 Instance That Containt Database For Several Applications. You need to create a workload Group.
    To Answer Movet he Appropriate actions from the list of actions in order Below on the Right hand side
    1.Create a Resource Pool
    2.Create a Workload group
    3.Write a Classifier Function
    4.Enable Resource Governor
    Please If you have a idea of all above Questions. Could you Provide me the link otherwise the Answer. That will be Helpful and we help me to improve my Practice before take the Final Exam

Firstly, this looks like homework. Secondly, you're better off creating a new topic for your question(s). Create a new topic in a relevant forum; not (ironically) in a topic that tells you how to post a question properly.

In your new topic, let us know what you've researched already. What parts of the each you don't understand and where do you specifically feel you don't have the whole picture. Are there particular areas that you want some more information on? Maybe you want something worded differently so that you understand them better as some of what you've read somewhere doesn't quite make sense or isn't clear to you (citate what you don't, so someone can explain is a more "user friendly" language) You might be better creating a couple of topics, as there are several different areas in your questions.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Thursday, August 3, 2017 2:03 AM

ricomk007 - Thursday, August 3, 2017 1:54 AM

Please Students. Some can HELP ME Answer this Questions BELOW.

--- How to create AlwaysOn Avability Group Configured in Syncrhronous mode. That With prevent any impact on the performance of the

Database Writes?
    To answer, Move the Appropriate actions from the List of actions in sequence orders Below on right hand side
    1.Add a new Availability replica in synchronous mode.
    2.Configure read-only routing.
    3.Set Readable secondary to yes.
    ----You have name called Named ProdSrv1 and ProdSrv2.Each server has a Database to summary table in the orders Databse on ProdSrv2.
    To Answer, Move The Appropriate actions from the list of actions in order Below on right hand side
    1.Create a subscription of the publication in the orders database on ProdSrv2.
    2.Configure ProdSrv1 as a Publisher.
    3.Configure a publication of the orderSummary table on ProdSrv2.
    4.Configure ProdSrv2 as a Distributor
    ----You Administer SQL Serve 2012 Instance That Containt Database For Several Applications. You need to create a workload Group.
    To Answer Movet he Appropriate actions from the list of actions in order Below on the Right hand side
    1.Create a Resource Pool
    2.Create a Workload group
    3.Write a Classifier Function
    4.Enable Resource Governor
    Please If you have a idea of all above Questions. Could you Provide me the link otherwise the Answer. That will be Helpful and we help me to improve my Practice before take the Final Exam

Firstly, this looks like homework. Secondly, you're better off creating a new topic for your question(s). Create a new topic in a relevant forum; not (ironically) in a topic that tells you how to post a question properly.

Nah, exam questions, based on the other threads he's posted the same thing in.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi, I think now and then I'm guilty of these things.  What does "bump a post" mean?  I understand cross posting.

• stanteitelbaum - Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:05 AM

Hi, I think now and then I'm guilty of these things.  What does "bump a post" mean?  I understand cross posting.

"Bumping a post" is posting solely to increase its visibility by bringing it to the top of the list.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 210 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply