Free alternative to Management Studio?

• Hi,

AS a SQL Server consultant, I have several clients who are moving their data to 2005.

Whenever I need to do admin stuff, maybe whip up some views for them or assist in fixing up their data if it's become corrupt due to user error (not SQL problems fortunately) I am becoming REALLY frustrated at the limitations of this new GUI.

I was so wonderfully comfortable with Enterprise Manager which did everything I needed it to.  Now I find I can't do many tasks as quickly as I could.  Things which might take me under a minute to complete now might take me 2 to 4 minutes do do.  2 examples.   i)  I want to edit a multi-line varchar field value, so I stretch the height of a row hoping ALL rows stretch to the same height, but now JUST the row I fiddled gets heightened.  I need to do each row now!  Minutes added to my job. : (    Then because the value is a multi-line with some carriage returns in the varchar field, the text used to wrap nicely in EM, but in MS it has unintelligble chars.  I need to copy & paste to Notepad, do my edits, then it doesn't paste back so I need to write a little query to update the value.  What used to be a direct edit in the table now isn't.      ii)   I used to be able to whip up a quick view, chuck in some criteria in the view designer and directly edit my values in the results pane.  In & out in seconds.  Now a view is read-only in the results pane.  This is my biggest beef.  I need to now chuck in my criteria, then find a unique key for the row I need to edit, paste into the criteria pane, remove the other tables then do my edit.  This might take me 2 to 3 minutes instead of a few seconds.

And the whole loss of DTS package editing being moved to BIDS - well don't get me started!  Something that took me 2 mins in the past has taken 2 hours.  As I get the hang of BIDS I guess that time will reduce, but gee what an incredible hassle initially.  And if some techie installed SQL 2005 by the Next > Next prompts, chances are that SSIS and BIDS didn't get installed, so I need to rummage around for the install CDs.

End rant.

Can anyone steer me towards a freebie download with a similar GUI that can at least allow me to edit data from a graphical view designer - I could use Access but usually I don't have Office available.

cheers

• hi danster, i fully agree with ya, i'm finding things that used to take a min or 2 can take double if not treble the time and effort!!!!

its as if they've taken away all the usability and simplistic methods from EM!

propa PITA

_________________________________________________________________________________SQLGeordieWeb:- Jarrin ConsultancyBlog:- www.chrisjarrintaylor.co.ukTwitter:- @SQLGeordie

• Hi,

I've never used it but I've heard good things about Toad: http://www.toadsoft.com/toadsqlserver/toad_sqlserver.htm

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply