Front-end Integration (Newbie Question)

• A VERY newbie question :

I am coming from a MS Access background, and am used to develloping user-interfaces (forms and data access pages) within Access. I am making a career move up to MS SQL Server, and recently became certified (MCTS) in Sql Server 2005.

As part of my learning process, I am eager to begin experimenting with applications that will allow me to provide a front-end (web or app) interface to the databases I am working on. I have some experience with HTML, VB and C++, but not much.

I was hoping someone could reccomend something to get me started.

Thanks!

-Simon Doubt

• I would recommend that you become an expert in T-SQL.  While you can spend as much time as you want on the front-end coding, you will want as much of the data access to be handled via stored procedures and to be effective at creating quality, efficient stored procedures, you'll need to get to be an expert at T-SQL more so than the front end language.  I saw your other post regarding hourly rate for contractors.  If you expect someone to pay you $60 - $80 per hour, you don't want to get into the habit of giving your clients inefficient database code.  Read up on SSC articles on T-SQL, efficiency, search through the posts for RBAR and get some insight on SET based thinking versus procedural thinking.  Through out the idea of looping and cursors!!  There's much more to say than I have time/space, but hopefully this will get you started.

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Thanks, John, for your reply. I appreciate your input.

The overwhelming majority of my knowledge is based in TSQL. I have read many books, subsribe to newsletters, have my own db projects, and the recent MS Sql Server 2005 certification. I understand db concepts and feel confident with that knowledge.

I am definitely not trying to skimp on TSQL knowledge (two more books are in the mail, a Ben Forta one on TSQL, and a db design one from MS Press), and I have no intentions of getting too immersed in front-end coding (and understand the value of SPs), but also want to know about what devellopers use to build - say, websites - that draw from Sql Server databases.

- Simon

• MS Visual Studio 2005 would seem to be the best app for coinciding with your background and skill set.  You may download a personal version from MS for free and they offer much in the way of online tutorials. 

MISfIT

• Thanks, Daniel - I'll check it out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply