Full Backup Flag Status

• I've run across an MS article stating to check to see if the internal flag status for a full backup was reset or not. How do I go about doing this?

• Link to article please? Not sure what it's talking about.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Care to share a link to the article? Not really sure what you are asking about and that would help.

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921106

Under the "Cause" section.

• Ok, it's literally an internal per-database flag that says if there's an existing full backup for the purposes of running a diff. If the flag isn't set, diff's will fail. That's what the kb article states. I don't see anywhere where it tells you to check it, it's just saying if the flag doesn't get set stuff happens and if you are having that problem and the version of SQL you have less than 9.0.1550, applying the hot fix may help. Since that version is pre SP1, probably would be better to apply SP3 as it'll contain all the hotfixes

It might be stored on the database boot page, but reading that requires undocumented DBCC commands (DBCC PAGE). It's an internal flag, not something exposed.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply