Full db backup fails with BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device

• Hi, my datable backups keep failing with this error:

BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device 'D:\admin\backup\bx01t_db.DAT'. Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

2009-06-16 15:21:07.14 spid91 Internal I/O request 0x361D3988: Op: Write, pBuffer: 0x08050000, Size: 983040, Position: 450238976, UMS: Internal: 0x103, InternalHigh: 0x0, Offset: 0x1AD61A00, OffsetHigh: 0x0, m_buf: 0x08050000, m_len: 983040, m_actualBytes: 0, m_errcode: 2, BackupFile: D:\admin\backup\bx01t_db.DAT

2009-06-16 15:21:07.14 backup BACKUP failed to complete the command backup database bx01t to disk='D:\admin\backup\bx01t_db.DAT'

From time to time I am able to run a successful backup manually but not always. D drive where it writes to has more than enough free space. other databases backups work, trans log for this failing db works too. DBCC checkdb didn't show any errors. I did few times reindexing on this db and also defrag of the drive itself. Please, help, than you in advance, LL

• For your error "write failure on backup device 'D:\admin\backup\bx01t_db.DAT' ... The system cannot find the file specified"

If you open a command prompt on the server and run:

DIR D:\admin\backup\bx01t_db.DAT

Is the file found?

There is the possibility that the D drive has a hardware problem or that the file system is corrupted. To check for file system corruption, run the check disk utility:

chkdsk d:

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• To solve this situation in the past where the file is definitely there but you get error 2 (file not found) I have had to physically delete the file from disk and then rerun the backup. I guess the file gets corrupted somehow, seems to happen if a previous backup does not complete successfully.

If its a backup device, drop and recreate the device.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• To solve this situation in the past where the file is definitely there but you get error 2 (file not found) I have had to physically delete the file from disk and then rerun the backup. I guess the file gets corrupted somehow, seems to happen if a previous backup does not complete successfully.

If its a backup device, drop and recreate the device.

darn - thats happened twice today

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi, thank you for your reply, dir command worked, I can see the file.

chck disk showed this

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...

43056 file records processed.

File verification completed.

196 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

0 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...

122155 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

5 unindexed files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...

43056 security descriptors processed.

Security descriptor verification completed.

750 data files processed.

177734182 KB total disk space.

99538736 KB in 15591 files.

16312 KB in 752 indexes.

44 KB in bad sectors.

114462 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

78064628 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

44433545 total allocation units on disk.

19516157 allocation units available on disk.

I am not sure how to read this 44 KB in bad sector.

• I just happened to check my SQL Error Log this morning and have found a similar error; the only difference is that my device is being listed as a Virtual Device, and then gives a VNBU0-2689-6785 name. ChkDsk makes sense if it's actually hardware, but what are my options for checking a virtual drive?

I've just noticed as well a subsequent line in my log that reads:

"BackupVirtualDeviceFile::RequestDurableMedia::Flush failure on backup device VNBU0-2689-6785. Operating system error 995 (The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.)."

...I'm guessing this means that my backups have not been done and therefore I'm sitting vulnerable should anything happen :sick:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply