Full, Log & Differential Backups

• raotor (11/28/2012)

Perry Whittle (11/28/2012)

what is the error you are receiving?

There's no error as such.

When I right-click on the database, click Tasks, click Restore and then select Database the list of available Full/Log backups appears, but the first in that list is now the most recent full backup followed by the rest of today's log backups.

I am not presented with any of the previous log backups and original full backup.

When you open the restore GUI select the "From device" option. Click the ellipsis button and browse to the backup file. When selected click the "Contents" button. Once the backup file ise selected the "select backup sets to restore" window will show all backups available in the dialog.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• GilaMonster (11/28/2012)

raotor (11/28/2012)

My full backups are done to the same file (i use NOINIT option on BACKUP), so the same physical backup file contains both full backups as far as I understand.

Don't do that. Each backup should go to its own file, preferably with the name including the date and time the backup was taken.

With multiple backups in the same file, should the backup header be corrupted or should someone accidentally delete the file, you've just lost all your backups, not one.

Understood.

What about the log backups though? I do the same for those.

I guess I find it easier to manage a single file for database backups and another for log backups and the GUI arranges all backups in a list from which to restore from when sourced from a single file.

If you control access to your partition or drive where backups are kept then I would imagine the risk of something being removed should not happen.

Still, having said that I don't disagree with your backup scheme, I guess I like the ease of management in the single file, multi-volume concept - perhaps I'm just lazy 🙂

• Thanks for tthat.

• raotor (11/28/2012)

What about the log backups though?

Same. One per file stamped with the datetime in the name

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply