Full text indexing with Windows Server 2003

• I am having considerable difficulty with Full text indexing on SQL Server 2000 running on Windows Server 2003 with service pack 3 installed. Full Text indexing will not run. Any attempts to enable the full text indexing for a database results in an error message:

Server: Msg 7635, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_fulltext_database, Line 46

The Microsoft Search service cannot be administered under the present user account

This is despite trying the SA account and the local administrators account.

Please could anyone help?

Thanks!

• Microsoft Name Search should be run under localsystem even if your SQL Server starts and runs under a different account. Check what account the name servers runs under (Settings, Control Panel, Admin Services, services) I assume you are getting this error when you issue the command EXEC sp_fulltext_database 'enable' ?

Francis

• It is running under the local system account and was working fine until service pack 3 was installed.

• We had exactly the same problem and it's not related to SP3 (we experienced it after SP2). Try this:

1. Do a search for the file named ftsetup.exe on the SQL Server machine. Note down the path.

2. Open a command prompt window and go down to the path found in step 1

3. Execute the following from the directory:

ftsetup.exe sqlserver 0 1 0 0 0

4. Note down the result it gives on the command prompt.

5. Click on Start >> RUN.

6. Execute the following: regsvr32 sqlfth75.dll (You may need to supply the full physical path for the DLL.)

7. Now restart SQL Service and MSSearch service.

8. Try enabling Full Text.

Hope it helps

--

georged

--
    George

• georgedo,

Thank you for your reply. We have tried what you suggested without success. The sp_fulltext_database command seems to be failing at the DBCC CallFullText stage, with the error:

Server: Msg 2526, Level 16, State 3, Line 1

Incorrect DBCC statement. Check the documentation for the correct DBCC syntax and options.

However I can find little documentation about this DBCC call. Any further suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

• Dave,

unless you can repave your server I suggest you contact PTS - looks like something's seriously wrong with SQL on your machine.

Cheers

--

georged

--
    George

• Georged,

Thanks for your help, I think what we'll do is rollback the service pack and see if that fixes it.

Cheers,

Dave

•   gerogedo -- Your suggestion in your 12/15 post corrected the problem that I was having. 

Thank you very much.  I appreciate your help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply