Fun with Computers

• I don't spend a lot of time playing games. Like Luke L, I spend so much time in front of a monitor during the week that I don't have much interest in spending more hours at home on it.

Lately, my kids have been playing free flash games on the web and I try one once in a while if it looks interesting. Boxhead, a zombie shooting game, has been my favorite so far.

Greg

Greg

• My two favorite small games are:

Marshmallow Dual

and

Minesweeper

I see others are interested in the later as well. It is a great and fun game to exercise the mind a little; I have used it to eat up a minute or two on the easy setting and have also 2-3 hours slowly solving the difficult settings.

Marshmallow Dual was one of the first two player games I ever played and, while it doesn't run as well on modern computers, it is still a wonderful and simple game.

I think that there are a large number of the old DOS games that people are unaware of because they are so caught up in the enormous modern games. These old games may not have the graphics of the newer ones, but they can be amazingly addicting.

• I am also a rabid backgammon player. I like games where you can improve over time using nothing but your wits - I've read 3 or 4 books on backgammon and I haven't played in a long time but I used to be pretty good. I enjoy the math involved. I like to play X-box games with the kids, but they always kill me 🙂

Lately I've been flying RC planes quite a bit, and sometimes I'll noodle around with this free RC flight sim on my lunch break. I definitely use it to practice my flying on rainy days!

http://n-old.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

• Turns out you're in luck! A few months ago I stumbled upon

http://games.atari.com/

Play many of the classics right in your web browser. The game play is surprisingly good.

Personally, I fall into the solitaire group. I just can't find time to get immersed into marathon-length games. But the Atari games are a great diversion.

---joe

• S T A R C R AF T hands down. I have played ( read: "waisted so much time" ) so much that I am ashamed to confess how much 😀 ... There is version 2 comming up I doubt it could be superior and yes Player vs. player makes it a real vice!!!!

Surgeon General Advice: Stay out if you value your time 😀

Cheers,

* Noel

• My PDA/phone came with Bubble Breaker. That's become my commute-time amusement in addition to the old standard Solitaire. I'm thinking about finding some new games but just haven't been motivated enough yet.

For the little pocket games I have Yahtzee and Othello.

If I'm on my laptop and not working I'm generally reading blogs / forums / etc (mostly SQL Server but also cooking, books and others).

• Probably a bit late, but hey, just love Chess. I play chess in it's many variations. For those who like the Idea of Chess but find it too rigid and boring, try 'Nightmare Chess'. Its Chess played with a deck of 'event cards'. A scream of a game !!

CodeOn 😛

• Ummm...

For me it still is Rogue. Guess it's more than 20 yrs old, have to play in a DOS window, but I just like it. And no, I've never finished it....

• Where's Rogue? (URL)

If it's old and in a DOS window, might be worth a try. My kids love the Incredible Machine. Not the new one, but the old one that runs in DOS from a floppy disk 🙂

• I know this is a slightly different spin on "Fun with Computers" - but this guy's very good with coming up with Fun About Computers. First time I've ever seen SQL injection used in a comic strip:)

http://www.xkcd.com/327/

Or - the "ballmer programming peak:)

http://www.xkcd.com/323/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Urmmm.. Don't know the url off the top of my head, but I do know it was available for download off the web. I think it evolved into something called Hack.

But honestly, it's brilliantly simple, yet different every time you play it.

Basic premise is that you wander through a set of rooms, killing monsters, picking up potions and magic artefacts, going ever deeper... And the foes get fiercer the deeper you go..

And until you find the Amulet of Yendor, you can't go back up again.

Never found it myself, but I've made it to the 23rd depth - each time being massacred by multiple trolls and lifesucking beasts..

Source code for it was available, I may still have it, but I'm not sure (I've had two HD failures since I got it, and of course backed up all my "vital" files)

• Hey, just done a search.

Rogue has an entry in Wikipaedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

Or just search wikipedia for rogue computer game... looks like all necessary links are there...

• Well, since being swayed to buy an Xbox360 last year, I got into Call of Duty 4 in a big way. Getting closer to level 55, so I may ease up on it then. Fortunately, I don't have kids so I get to play while my wife is cooking dinner...I do offer to help out but she says I only get in the way so I may as well play video games - no arguments from me.

Aside from that, brick breaker on the blackberry keeps me amused on the train to and from work...

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply