General Network Errors

• Hi all,

Still getting these very annoying 'General Network Errors' from my msSQL 2000 (SP3) box. When accessing from the intranet via ASP I get these errors (incidentally its the same box that runs IIS and serves the ASP pages);

Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

And replication to a remote box also appears to fail at the same time with;

General Network Error. Please check your network documentation.

I have so far tried...new network cables, new network card, new MDAC installations, service pack installation (SP3). I have yet to have actually been at the machine when this happens and I have tried running ping tests etc to see if there is an actual physical drop out of connection.

Does anyone have any other information about this type of error and what may cause it..? It sounds like a network issue to me but I just want to check that no-one else has had these problems. It seems bizzare that the machine that is serving the ASP page as well as the SQL should only choke when in communication with the SQL part of the box if it is a network error. You would think that errors regarding general page errors and timeouts would occur..?

Thank you.

(Win2000 service pack 2)

• Change your client network protocol to TCP/IP to Names pipes or vice versa. Also if you are connecting with a standard id make sure your server security is configured as mixed mode

Shas3

• All the clients are set to TCP. Its also very intermittent. For the vast majority of the time the connections are fine.

Rolf

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply