Generation X

• I like the things your great grandfather said, Rudy.

I am a GenXer and I tend to use technology where it will improve my quality of life. I use Facebook to keep in touch with people, use online forums like here, have a PDA etc but I can still hand write letters, remember phone numbers and make a pavlova by hand. For those of you unfamiliar with pavlova, it is a meringue cake made by whipping a large number of egg whites and sugar to stiff peaks and then baking it. You can use technology in the kitchen to do this easily in minutes but it takes much longer and is quite tiring to do by hand with a whisk. I would much prefer the technology and so would my grandmother who is in her nineties. My point is that up until Gen Y, people tended to adopt technology where it was useful to them personally but Gen Y seems to want things just because they are cool; a marketers dream generation!

At the moment I am debating whether or not to upgrade my old mobile phone to a touch screen one but I can't think of why I really need a touch screen other than it is cool so I still have my old phone which works fine and I save money.

Cheers,

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

• Rudy, a good list and thanks for adding it in,

BTW, you're gen X, like me

• IceDread (9/30/2009)

To contradict you, a lot of the older guys on the works I have been consulting at never want to listen and fully understand even the more simple things. They want help and they want others to do it for them

Heh... I was just thinking the same thing about a lot of the posters on this forum. From what I've seen, I don't believe it has anything to do with age...

Speaking of bashing, you did a pretty good job of it yourself. ๐Ÿ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I think that younger people can have a different view of technology than people that are a little bit older. They may be past the point where it is something new and amazing and it โ€œjust isโ€ because itโ€™s been around for their whole life, so they are more interested in just using it, instead of trying to understand it.

The same could be said for automobiles for earlier generations and current generations. The technology in automobiles is amazing, but most people take it for granted. Do you really care if your car has electronic fuel injection, variable valve timing, air bags, etc. as long as it works and has a reasonable price?

• "And to a large extent, we built the base of this highly computerized world that most of us live in"

I believe the reason your generation is able to reach so far is because you stand on the shoulders of Giants (Plagiarized & Paraphrasing).

I am a Boomer (51) and I understand and appreciate the contributions of others who lived before me, with out the transistor there would be no integrated circuits. Without Vacuum Tubes there would be no Transistors, etc ... All the way back to Fire and the Wheel.

No one generation built the base, it was a combined effort by all generations; the desire to make life better, will always be our common thread.

Please don't take this as a rant, that is not how it was meant.

• Jeff Moden (9/30/2009)

IceDread (9/30/2009)

To contradict you, a lot of the older guys on the works I have been consulting at never want to listen and fully understand even the more simple things. They want help and they want others to do it for them

Heh... I was just thinking the same thing about a lot of the posters on this forum. From what I've seen, I don't believe it has anything to do with age...

Speaking of bashing, you did a pretty good job of it yourself. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hehe yeah I guess so, but as you surely saw I pointed out that I believe that it's more in the individual than in the age since I've seen this in both younger and older people.

Frank W Fulton Jr (10/1/2009)

"And to a large extent, we built the base of this highly computerized world that most of us live in"

I believe the reason your generation is able to reach so far is because you stand on the shoulders of Giants (Plagiarized & Paraphrasing).

I am a Boomer (51) and I understand and appreciate the contributions of others who lived before me, with out the transistor there would be no integrated circuits. Without Vacuum Tubes there would be no Transistors, etc ... All the way back to Fire and the Wheel.

No one generation built the base, it was a combined effort by all generations; the desire to make life better, will always be our common thread.

Please don't take this as a rant, that is not how it was meant.

While I'd argue that there are lots of people that does not want mankind to go forward, like the Christian Church attempts to stop Scientists and control societies as well as criminals not really interested in build up a society, I do agree with you, good post.

Sorry for the rant, I hope I dont get flamed by some bible believers, we are quite lucky in Sweden, few believes in the bible all thou many believes in "something".

• Crud... there goes the neighborhood. Can we leave religion out of this, please?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (10/5/2009)

Crud... there goes the neighborhood. Can we leave religion out of this, please?

agreed.

• IceDread (10/5/2009)

While I'd argue that there are lots of people that does not want mankind to go forward, like the Christian Church attempts to stop Scientists and control societies as well as criminals not really interested in build up a society, I do agree with you, good post.

Sorry for the rant, I hope I dont get flamed by some bible believers, we are quite lucky in Sweden, few believes in the bible all thou many believes in "something".

If you really donโ€™t want to get flamed, why did you post such offensive statements?

• Michael Valentine Jones (10/5/2009)

IceDread (10/5/2009)

If you really donโ€™t want to get flamed, why did you post such offensive statements?

If someone wants to flame then flame away. But depending on what's in the flames I might have to dig up some old memory piece here and there and well it's annoying and takes time while in my experience there are less bible believers in the IT business so the risk should be smaller. I also strongly feel that in the place of history it should be mentioned. Depending on from which country / school you are you might have a lot or little or no knowledge about it at all.

• I'm a little late to the party, but I would agree with what annemurray99 said. I think being involved in the community has more to do with age and experience as what generation you are in. When I was in my 20's and early 30's I was not interested in participating in the community and did not realize the value of it. I did use the community to help me, but not to help others. As I got older I realized the value in being an active participant so now I am.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I'd like to think my generation is more interested and excited by technology than older or younger ones. After all, we came of age, learning older ways of doing things and evolving into the digital world. And to a large extent, we built the base of this highly computerized world that most of us live in. However I'm probably just biased about people my own age.

The last sentence in that paragraph seems very true!

I guess the people who built the base of our highly computerised world were the generation before mine, and I'm generation BGHOF (Boring Grey-Haired Old F...that's the generation before the boom generation which in turn is the one before yours) so I'm saying you are three generations out.

I could generate a long list of peope who have done major chunks of that building, but I'll limit myself two examples (one UK-born, one US-born): Ted (Edgar Frank) Codd was born in 1923; and Claude Shannon was born in 1916.

Tom

• I'd agree that the foundations were set with the generation before the boomers. The boomers built on their work, but the explosion of computing, the push to cheaper chips, to PCs and micro computers, seems to have been the boomers. And then my Gen X has come of age, watching things change dramatically from analog to digital. The Gen y people, my kids, have seem to have grown up in a digital world.

• Steve Jones - Editor (11/1/2009)

I'd agree that the foundations were set with the generation before the boomers.

Agree? Don't you mean disagree - after all, what I said was that it was the generation before the generation before the boomers.

The boomers built on their work, but the explosion of computing, the push to cheaper chips, to PCs and micro computers, seems to have been the boomers. And then my Gen X has come of age, watching things change dramatically from analog to digital. The Gen y people, my kids, have seem to have grown up in a digital world.

For cheaper chips, PCs, microcomputers, surely the main culprits were people like Federico Faginn, Masatoshi Shima, Ted Hoff, Stan Mazor, Don Estridge, Ian Barron, Clive Sinclair, Jef Raskin, Chuck Peddle, William Shockly (and of course "the traitorous eight") - all of whom were born too early to be baby boomers. Some baby-boomers were involved too, but mostly it was people somewhat older who did these things.

And of course the four men most responsible for the explosion of computing were probably John Pinkerton and David Caminer (they designed, built, and programmed the first stored-program computer that ever handled business applications) and Presper Eckert and John Mauchly (they designed and built Univac 1, the first US commercial stored-program computer, at about the same time). These four were all born too early even to be counted in the generation before the baby boomers - they were another generation before that.

Tom

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply