Generic SP or UDF for Translation

• I have a requirement to provide translated information into various applications and I want to create re-useable code in an SP or UDF, but so far I have been unable to define this. Can anyone offer any assistance.

Example tables

The MAIN Table

tblApplication

AppID int

AppName varchar(50)

PopupText varchar(500)

has a name and popuptext to be translated

if the translation exists in the table

tblAppTranslation

Appname varchar(50)

LanguageID int

Description varchar(50)

PopupText varchar(500)

I need to pass in the tablename, language and appname and if a record exists in the translation table, then the Description and Popuptext are returned - otherwise, the appname and popuptext are returned from the main table

Ian Dallow

• Since you are looking to return 2 values, I would suggest the use of an SP with 2 OUTPUT params rather than a UDF.

• What popuptext are do you want returned when the tblapptranslation does not have have a matching language and appname?

Gregory Larsen, DBA

If you looking for SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/sqlserverexamples

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• The Popuptext required if there is no record in the Translation table is the one from the Main table record

• We created tables and views to solve this problem.

create table Phrase

(PhraseID int (PK)

PhraseName varchar(50)

)

create table LocalizedPhrase

(PhraseID int (pk, FK)

LanguageID int (pk)

Phrase varchar(3000)

)

We have a view that joins the localized phrases with the english language phrase so we are ensure of getting something back.

The app maintains the phrase list. We use an external $ervi¢e to translate phrases to multiple languages.

• The main table will not necessarily hold englisg text. The text will be in the local language of the user who inserted the record. There will always be a pair of text fields available, but not necessarily in the translation language requested.

The required results are :

For

Pass in parameters of @tablename @entity and @language

MAIN TABLE described as

TABLENAME=tblMain

EntityID1 int

Description1

PopupText1

TRANSLATION TABLE described as

TABLENAME = tblMainTranslation

EntityID2 int

Description2

PopupText2

SELECT [Description2],PopupText2 FROM @tablenameTranslation WHERE EntityID2 = @entity AND languageID = @languageI

If no record found then

SELECT [Description1],Popuptext1 FROM

@tablename WHERE EntityID1 = @entity

There are many pairs of associated tables that are populated through application code.

I am trying to find a way of having a single code object that can be parameterised to handle translation in a common way

• Try this using a Stored Procedure

if exists (SELECT [Description2],PopupText2 FROM @tablenameTranslation WHERE EntityID2 = @entity AND languageID = @languageI)

begin

SELECT [Description2],PopupText2 FROM @tablenameTranslation WHERE EntityID2 = @entity AND languageID = @languageI

end

else

begin --If no record found then

SELECT [Description1],Popuptext1 FROM

@tablename WHERE EntityID1 = @entity

end

If this is part of an application return you might try the suggestion of using two output parameters so you can avoid a record set. Otherwise the above syntax should do what you want.

• Thanks for that.

Right I've now got the following statements to return the correct information in a grid.

Can anyone advise how to capture the returned data into output parameters ?

I am getting errors regarding 'must declare variable' if I use SELECT @outparm=[Description] within the selectstring parameter.

• And here are the statements :-

DECLARE @tablename char(30)

DECLARE @languageID int

DECLARE @entityID int

SET @tablename='tblIANMain'

SET @languageID=64

SET @entityID=1

DECLARE @selectstring nvarchar(500)

SET @selectstring='SELECT [Description],PopupText FROM EDB.dbo.' +

rtrim(ltrim(@tablename)) + 'Translation WHERE EntityID = ' + cast(@entityID as char(2)) +

' AND LanguageID = ' + cast(@languageID as char(2))

exec (@selectstring)

if @@rowcount=0

BEGIN

SET @selectstring='SELECT [Description],PopupText FROM EDB.dbo.' +

rtrim(ltrim(@tablename)) + ' WHERE EntityID = ' + cast(@entityID as char(2))

exec (@selectstring)

END

• Try this for the procedure side.

CREATE PROCEDURE usp_GetDesAndPopup

@tablename sysname,

@languageID int,

@entityID int,

@Description varchar(100) OUTPUT,

@PopupText varchar(100) OUTPUT

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @sqlstr nvarchar(2000)

SET @sqlstr = 'if exists (SELECT @Description = [Description], @PopupText = PopupText FROM EDB.dbo.' + @tablename + ' Translation WHERE EntityID = @entityID AND LanguageID = @languageID)

SELECT @Description = [Description], @PopupText = PopupText FROM EDB.dbo.' + @tablename + 'Translation WHERE EntityID = @entityID AND LanguageID = @languageID

else

SELECT @Description = [Description], @PopupText = PopupText FROM EDB.dbo.' + @tablename + ' WHERE EntityID = @entityID'

EXEC sp_executesql @sqlstr, N'@languageID int, @entityID int, @Description varchar(100) OUTPUT, @PopupText varchar(100) OUTPUT', @languageID, @entityID, @Description OUTPUT, @PopupText OUTPUT

• When I run this as a procedure

declare @out1 varchar(50)

declare @out2 varchar(300)

exec usp_GetDesAndPopup tblIANMain,64,1,@out1,@out2

it gives errors

Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 1

Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '='.

Server: Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 3

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'else'.

sql does not seem to like the @description=[description] syntax within the built string

As a single non-parameterised sql statement it works fine

• I believe all you are missing is the OUTPUT keyword with the parameters that are accepting OUTPUT. But try this.

declare @out1 varchar(50)

declare @out2 varchar(300)

exec usp_GetDesAndPopup @tablename = 'tblIANMain', @languageID = 64, @entityID = 1, @Description = @out1 OUTPUT, @PopupText = @out2 OUTPUT

• I've just run the amended statement, but this still returns the same errors

• I am such an idiot here is the problem and it is all my fault.

Change this

SET @sqlstr = 'if exists (SELECT @Description = [Description], @PopupText = PopupText FROM EDB.dbo.' + @tablename + ' Translation WHERE EntityID = @entityID AND LanguageID = @languageID)

SELECT @Description = [Description], @PopupText = PopupText FROM EDB.dbo.' + @tablename + 'Translation WHERE EntityID = @entityID AND LanguageID = @languageID

else

SELECT @Description = [Description], @PopupText = PopupText FROM EDB.dbo.' + @tablename + ' WHERE EntityID = @entityID'

to

SET @sqlstr = 'if exists (SELECT [Description], PopupText FROM EDB.dbo.' + @tablename + ' Translation WHERE EntityID = @entityID AND LanguageID = @languageID)

else

Sorry about that.

• Thanks for that -

it's now complaining about an invalid column

Server: Msg 207, Level 16, State 3, Line 1

Invalid column name 'LanguageID'.

This column is correctly defined in tblIANMAinTranslation table

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply