get the dates(start of the week) between 2 specified dates

• Hi All,

I have two dates in sql

Start -11/05/2012 (start of the week)

End -11/26/2012(strat of the week)

I need to create a temp table that would contain the start of the week between two given dates...

As the paramater is passed,the results to be available are:

11/05/2012

11/12/2012

11/26/2012

How to get the start of the week between two given dates in sql

Thanks!

• I'm assuming that the start of the week is Monday. Also this solution uses a tally table.

First create a tally table (numbers table)

If exists (select 1 from information_schema.tables where table_name = 'Tally')

drop table dbo.[Tally]

GO

CREATE TABLE dbo.Tally (N INT,CONSTRAINT PK_Tally_N PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED (N))

DECLARE @Counter INT

SET @Counter = 0

WHILE @Counter <= 10000

BEGIN

INSERT INTO dbo.Tally (N)

VALUES (@Counter)

SET @Counter = @Counter + 1

Not the most elegant solution but try it and see what you get (please note that I use the British date format which is dd/mm/yyyy)

declare @StartDate datetime

declare @EndDate datetime

set @StartDate = '2012-11-05'

set @EndDate = '2012-11-26'

select @StartDate+N

from Tally

where datename(dw, @StartDate+N) = 'Monday'

and @StartDate+N <=@EndDate

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
    David Edwards - Media lens[/url]

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

• try this...

with cte1(date1)

as

(

select convert(date,'2012-11-05')

union all

select DATEADD(week,1,date1) from cte1

where date1<='2012-11-20'

)

select * from cte1

• k.thanigaivel (12/6/2012)

try this...

with cte1(date1)

as

(

select convert(date,'2012-11-05')

union all

where date1<='2012-11-20'

)

select * from cte1

What happens if the start date parameter is not a monday?

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

• Create yourself a DIM_DATE table (I still wonder why a lot of people don't have such a table as a default) and then run the following code in your SP

SELECT FULLDATE --COUNT(DATEKEY) (count if you want just a count)

FROM DIM_DATE

WHERE DayNameOfWeek = datename(dw, @StartDate)

AND FULLDATE BETWEEN @StartDate AND @EndDate

(keep in mind that BETWEEN is inclusive - i.e. if @StartDate or @EndDate are of the day you are looking for, then these will be counted too - if that's not what you want, then you can use the greater than (>) and less than (<) operators)

For more information about DIM_DATE table (which is used as a tally table as per earlier post), see:

http://www.kimballgroup.com/data-warehouse-and-business-intelligence-resources/data-warehouse-books/booksmdwt/ (go to Chapter 7—Design and Develop the ETL System; date dimension) - Direct Link for DDL and sample data:

http://www.kimballgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ch07_Date_Dim_2000-2020.xlsx

HTH,

B

• Thannks Both of you

The above query works :

Declare @Param_Start date,

@Param_End date

select @Param_Start='11/05/2012',

@Param_End='11/11/2012'

;with cte1(date1)

as

(

select convert(date,@Param_Start)

union all

where date1<=@Param_End

)

select * from cte1

But my concern is say I have the start date as 11/05/2012 and end date as 11/11/2012, the results are

11/05/2012

11/12/2012 -- Here 11/11/2012 is considered to be in the subsequent Monday week... But I wanted 11/11/2012 's start of the week as 11/05/2012... I wanted the week to be Like commencing Monday till Sunday as one enitre week.

any help ?

thanks

• I provided you with a working solution earlier. Have you tied it?

Howard Zinn

• check this ...

Declare @Param_Start date,

@Param_End date

select @Param_Start=DATEADD(DD, 2-DATEPART(DW, '2012-11-01'), '2012-11-01'),

@Param_End='11/11/2012'

;with cte1(date1)

as

(

select convert(date,@Param_Start)

union all

where date1<=@Param_End

)

select * from cte1

• Ya , I tried it out Thanks!

But I feel this will not be an optimal solution satisfying the requirement. Better option would be a date dimension table. Thanks anywyas!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply