Getting A Value From All User Tables

• I am trying to loop thru all the tables in the database to get the lastupdated field's value into a variable so that I can perform an INSERT into an audit table. I can't get the MAX(LastUpdated) value into a variable while using a cursor or sp_MSForEachTable. Any suggestions?

• I think what I would do is create a temp table and do an insert of the table name and date.

IE:

DECLARE @SQL nvarchar(4000)
    , @tblName sysname
    , @cTbls cursor

IF EXISTS(SELECT * FROM tempdb..sysobjects WHERE id = object_id('tempdb..#Audit'))
    DROP TABLE #Audit
    CREATE TABLE #Audit
    (
    tblName sysname
    , LastUpdated datetime
    )

SET @cTbls = cursor for
    SELECT TABLE_NAME
    FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES
    FOR READ ONLY

OPEN @cTbls
    FETCH @cTbls INTO @tblName
    WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
    BEGIN
    SET @SQL = 'insert into #Audit SELECT ''' + @tblName + ''', MAX(LastUpdated) FROM ' + @tblName
    EXEC sp_executesql @SQL

FETCH @cTbls INTO @tblName
    END
    SELECT * FROM #Audit

Note that you will want to make sure that the table actually has the LastUpdated column.

Gary Johnson

Microsoft Natural Language Group

DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

• Seems like it should be possible to make sp_MSForEachTable work. Not that there is anything wrong with what Gary suggests.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Thanks for the suggestion. Not all tables have the LastUpdated column so I will add error code to skip them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply